M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got their mailer and was wondering, does anyone know where this surplus comes from?
Only specs listed are: Non-Corrosive, Boxer Primed, Brass case, FMJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
"5-1123 308 Indian FMJ, 500 rd cases. M80 FMJ ball, brass case, boxer primer, non-corrosive, (NOTE, Some of this ammo was imported with some bullet seating problems, this ammo has been sorted to find any defects. We have tested it in FAL, G3, and bolt actions.) "

the regular price is 500 for 59.99. if there is 7.62x51 on sale for $100 per thousand, I'm betting it's Indian.

J&G Sales

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
LVMPDawg,

Indian .308 manufactured in 2002 is Boxer primed. Most all dealers would come out and state the country that manufactured the ammo, but some know that Indian has a low following here, as a top quality manufacture of ammunitions.

XXIV Corps :mrgreen:
DMZ 70-72

·
Registered
318 Posts
LVMPDawg said:
I just got their mailer and was wondering, does anyone know where this surplus comes from?
Only specs listed are: Non-Corrosive, Boxer Primed, Brass case, FMJ
The OFV 97 Indian I had was boxer primed.

delloro said:
(NOTE, Some of this ammo was imported with some bullet seating problems, this ammo has been sorted to find any defects. We have tested it in FAL, G3, and bolt actions.) "
If they've sorted it you might be on to something. I would still check every round in a Wilson case gauge and inspect every primer for evidence of damage or cockeyed seating. Beyond the bent necks and crookedly seated bullets I have read one report of a bullet stuck in the barrel, one destroyed rifle (Probably a bullet stuck in the barrel followed by a live round), and two pierced primers that burned the finish off the boltface.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have ZERO problems with J&G's Indian Ammo....

I am on my sixth 640 round can...VERY clean, packed nicely in 10 round plastic sleeves in "50 cal. cans with wire/lead seals.

All this ammo has functioned and fired almost flawlessly via my 7.62 Garand, M1A, three FN/FALS and a Spanish Gardia 1916 Mauser in 7.62x51.

I did have two FTF rounds (bad primers?)

I also have reloaded a portion of the brass...and it appears to be suitable for reloading too!

YMMV!

Regards

JCH

·
Registered
170 Posts
how is ammo in sealed cans supposed to have been sorted???

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
delloro,

There you go again, delloro! Ruining a perfectly good story with a bunch of unnecessary facts/truth and questions again!

XXIV Corps :mrgreen:
DMZ 70-72

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:wink: JCH! All it takes is ONE to Blow up your Rifle, Stay away from that JUNK! :evil:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Dawg!! I just came over from the old "Yard" site. Good to see your name again. Although some are saying different, I would stay away from the indian stuff. I tried some and it just did not work way too often to suit me. I never saw such a variety of types of failures. YMMV but that's what I experienced.
Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Delloro my child....

What is your point...other than to stir the S**t? Have you put any down range? Do you personally know anything about this ammo? No? Just heresay right? Typical...and as I thought...

Hell, you assume that I said sealed by the factory? Or some Indian man? or ???? Sealed...did you miss that? Did I say by whom?

I don't know WHO sealed the can...don't care...

Why not call J&G in Prescott Arizona and ask...if you really care.
928-445-9650 (I doubt you do...you just like to act childish and stir the pot...right?)

Don't like it...don't shoot it...keep your comments to yourself (unless you have soething constructive to say).... and all is well!

Regards!

Jim

·
Registered
170 Posts
:roll: settle down, francis :lol:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: Delloro my child....

JCH said:
What is your point...other than to stir the S**t? Have you put any down range? Do you personally know anything about this ammo? No? Just heresay right? Typical...and as I thought...
Guess it's time to post pictures for those who missed them the last few times I posted them. A lot of the folks here and at BR didn't have to shoot any of this garbage because several of us had already shot shoot some. I did and posted these pictures the same day. The ammo was originally sold in ten round plastic packs that came in a very ratty looking ammo can. I bought 640 rounds and returned most of it to the store where I got it (Thanks to these targets there was no quibbling about the value of the ammo).

Both targets were shot with an M1A Super National Match about fifteen minutes apart. I put about 80 of the Indian rounds down range. Even from a tactical bolt gun the bullets frequently couldn't find the paper.

Indian Headstamp OFV 97
FC Gold Medal Match
Here's a target I shot with the above mentioned bolt gun.
Sako Tactical - Hirtenberger and Handloads

Beyond the crooked bullets and bent case necks there have been reports of peirced primers, a squib round that left a bullet lodged in the barrel and a blown up rifle (Probably a squib followed by a good round. The visually detectable defect rate is around two percent and that's what a lot of the vendors have been sorting out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The sky is falling....

LMAO....I guess Delloro won't/can't finish what he started...so djl4570 steps in..gotta love it.

djl4570 - super and fine....sorry your ammo and weapon(s) didn't shoot for you! Did you have any pictures of the ammunition you shot? Pictures of any ruined weapons ( i.e. blown barrels or squibbs???) as claimed?
If in fact if it is such a dangerous product and a liability issue and such a danger to consumers, why is it still on the market?

In addition I never purported that this ammo would shoot as accurately as Federal Gold Match or Handloads. We seem to be comparing apples to oranges!!!....it doesnt shoot as well as my handloads either. I did not expect it too. And I don't care if it comes in a "ratty looking" ammo can either....mine shoots! Period.

I did, however, say in MY experience, utilizing a Montana Rifle and Pistol Association State Rifle (NM M14) it DID shoot and function with very little problems (a couple of FTF rounds). It shot well in CMP HP 600 yard matches and LEG matches too.

What I DID say is that in three rifles I have personally fired this ammunition in (a spanish 1916 Gardia Mauser in 7.62x51, a CMP Grand converted to 7.62x51 and a NM M14) it has functioned w/ little problem. (other than the few FTF's).

I will soon try the same ammo in a....get this.....((GASP!?!!!!!!!)) (ARRRRGGGGG)!!!!!)))) ((wheeze...choke....))) PolyTech......yes a mighty inferior PolyTech (but it does have GI parts, including a TRW bolt...so its OK, right?)

Anyone in neighboring states to Montana might wish to take cover...should you see a huge mushroom cloud on the Montana horizion it may be due to a faulty weapon (PolyTech) and/or faulty Indian ammo....

One mans garbage is another mans gold.....even if it comes in a ratty ammo can....LOL

As always....YMMV....and shoot what you want.

Regards!

JCH

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
;) Anyone that wants to Ruin Their Expensive Rifles Go right ahead and keep Shooting that Stuff! I guess some of you Hotshots missed all the Pictures of Crooked seated Bullets,High Primers, Bullets Stuck in Barrels, Casehead Seperations, The Blown up M1A and the Blown up FAL on the old BattleRifles a while Back :?:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Let me see. 10 cent ammunition that 99+% of posters say they're afraid of. Oh no- I know better. Since it's so inexpensive what say I buy 20000 rounds or so. In truth, years ago when the Indian surplus started to come in at 25 cents a round everyone was talking about what crap it was. i.e. poorly seated, indifferent or worse accuracy etc. etc. but it's cheap. Apparently many people have forgotten how expensive surplus 7.62x51 used to be. I used to RELOAD it and saved a bunch. Fast forward to today. I can't reload for what good surplus costs. There is no way I'll put any Indian through anything I own. And rumor has it that some of it is quite good. But I haven't kept a scorecard as to what day/month/year is good. Once a POS, always a POS. It's much easier for me to go through life keeping track of things in the black or white mode. I don't buy generic cigarettes, no name gasoline, Yugo's or suspicious ammunition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As I said before...

Gents-

Shoot what you want....

I am going to continue shooting what OMV I have...and probably purchase more...it has/ is shooting well for me.

I know I have made some folks mad here. So be it...

Its ok and really prefered, not to go through life as SHEEP. This whole thread reminds me children, not knowing much about life, but arguing in favor of something because of their parents stance on an issue, such as:

I guess if you own a Ford...then a Dodge or GM product is pure junk. Not because you have owned or driven one...but because you hear it is...

or-

A Savage rifle is junk...because your buddies own Remingtons or Winchesters.....no proof.... just heresay....

And "rc" a "man" has a pair and is willing to make a stand....I doub't I'll hear from you....other than to have you continue to bite at my ankles from under your bed.

Why in the world would "I hear from the Man" for voicing my opinion?

This whole board is based on opinion...some fact. Have I broken board policy for not rolling over and cowering to some opinions here? And by the way Gloria and Gunny at CSP run a heck of a board and I do spend time there too! You might try it...you might learn to be open minded and non-judgemental there.

Mr. Marshall...bless your heart....good for you..keep on buying good cigs and gas and no yugos....your argument really made me stop and reconsider my ammo choice (?????)

And Trung Si :

Trung Si Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:37 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone that wants to Ruin Their Expensive Rifles Go right ahead and keep Shooting that Stuff! I guess some of you Hotshots missed all the Pictures of Crooked seated Bullets,High Primers, Bullets Stuck in Barrels, Casehead Seperations, The Blown up M1A and the Blown up FAL on the old BattleRifles a while Back

Please re-read my post(s)... I have yet to run any rifle...nor have I had any of your made-up-maladies you state above. My inital posts were to this effect... :D

as always.... YMMV

Regards!

JCH ;)

[/quote]

·
Retired Admin
19,130 Posts
JCH,

I do take offence, of people that make blanket statement that all on this thread are Children! It may be that for some strange reason you carry such a large chip upon your shoulder... Stop beating around the bushes JCH and explain what happens to be brothering you at this time. I believe many would like to know your side of the story. Oh by the way I hope that you can still have a nice week coming up. Good day Sir.

XXIV Corps :x_mrgreen:
DMZ 70-72

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.