M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my newly acquired preban Smith Ltd. M-14 :D :D :D :D complete with all USGI parts :D :D :D :D in a Tiger striped Birch stock that I just refinished today.

Thanks a bunch Mark!!!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Right ON!!! Hawk...

You got it!!! Cool... and it looks AWESOME in that pic!!! Very AWESOME... pre-ban, huh? :lol:

Cool. 8)

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Very nice Hawk 8) . Explain Smith Ltd? :? Location, Etc. I like the stock. When I recover from the expense of having my newest baby re-parked I'll have to order one from you...... Is that Birch?

Greg

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Yeah Greg ....

Do believe that is a Birch and last time I talked with Hawk he traded that stock for a nice Cherry stock.

I was wondering the same thing as for the meaning of the "Ltd" version.

Shes a "looker" whatever it is ... :wink:

Six

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MsgtMaze said:
Very nice Hawk 8) . Explain Smith Ltd? :? Location, Etc. I like the stock. When I recover from the expense of having my newest baby re-parked I'll have to order one from you...... Is that Birch?

Greg
Receiver has the following:

U.S. RIFLE
7.62-MM M-14
SMITH LTD.

No other markings on receiver. The stock is birch and now belongs to RANGER11B2P.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks real good, Wish it was mine. :(

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hawk7173 said:
Receiver has the following:

U.S. RIFLE
7.62-MM M-14
SMITH LTD.

No other markings on receiver. The stock is birch and now belongs to RANGER11B2P.
Wow!

Very low S/N did they make a lot or as the name says Limited number?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Smith LTD was brought up on Gun & Knife, but for the life of me I can't seem to remember what was said about them.

Regards

Ox

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know how many receiver Smith Ltd. made. The receiver was discussed on the old gun and knife board and the general concensus was that they were out of spec and possibly didn't have a hard enough surface. I took the rifle to my machinist as well as my Springfield. we checked the specs against one another. Our conclusion was that the Smith Ltd. had tighter specs than the Springfield(post-ban). The bolt also rode much smoother during cycling. We weren't able to test the hardness. I will post a couple of pics of the receiver over the weekend.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Hawk:

There is a Smith Ent. NM rifle being sold across the way... and the seller says that there were less than 200 made... is this the same as what you have?

If so, this seems like a special rare find ya got there! In any case, that is a beauty you got there...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom, My understanding is that Smith Ltd. and Smith enterprises are two different manufacturers. regards, Hawk

·
Registered
498 Posts
dighawaii said:
Aloha Hawk:

There is a Smith Ent. NM rifle being sold across the way... and the seller says that there were less than 200 made... is this the same as what you have?

If so, this seems like a special rare find ya got there! In any case, that is a beauty you got there...

Aloha,

Tom O.
Hey Tom,

The Smith Ent across the way is a Select fire Smith Enterprise. Smith made a few back in 1984-1986 I believe as well as the select fire ones Springfield made during this period. Not positive about the dates :roll: ....

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/...esults_format=long&db_id=1808&query=retrieval

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha MSgtMaze:

In BR.Com, there is a Smith Ent. for $2500 and the seller claimed it was one of less than 200 made (receiver wise) and unshot... It sounds like a winner but at $2500... Wow!

So I am curious about the Smith Ent. production of receivers... and if it truly worth the big bucks!!! Sounds like our Hawk got a WINNER!!!

Aloha Guys!

Tom O.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice Hawk. Are you trying to keep up with Tom? I was but the wife is starting to think I'm giving money to another woman. :? She can't believe I spend this much for as she says :roll: "just a gun".

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately this only makes two :( But am hoping to build a third later this year after I clear up a few other projects :D Then I can get back on track :wink:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Seem to be seeing more grey parkerizing these days.

Regards

Ox

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ox, The parking is green/black....unfortunateky the flash makes it appear to be gray.

Oh and guys....I checked with Clint McKee from Fulton Armory and he said that Smith Ltd was in Ohio and was in business sometime around 87-89? and that he probably made less than a thousand receivers. other than that he didn't know that much about them. He also said that there were inconsistancies in the receivers that were made. I guess I got one of the good ones as this one specs out nicely against my Springfiled :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hawk,
Glad to hear you got a good one. Nothing worse than to find out you bought a wall hanger.

Regards

Ox

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ox, The nice thing about it is that I had posession of the rifle for 4 months to check it out. The guy I bought it from is a very good friend who told me to find out what I could about it and to take it apart, shoot it or whatever I deemed necessary to make sure I would be happy with it before purchasing it. As per usual, I did my homework and it paid off :D Now if I can only find the hardware for a E-2 stock I'll be happy :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts