M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for my new Tasco SS 16X. Should be here by Friday. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Couldn't beat the price and the reports I've been reading over the past few months convinced me to buy one. Thanks to Dighawaii and the rest of the gang for posting their opinions and experiences - good or bad it's great to have folks who are willing to share their honest opinions. =D>

My old eyes are getting too bad to shoot decent with irons and 10X just doesn't quite do it. Since the only thing I'm shooting is paper at the range, it sounded like a good deal to me.

Sure hope I get one of the "good" ones.

I'm gonna try mounting it and hitting the range Saturday, weather permitting. Think I'll take my old poncho liner out (it works for me :mrgreen: ) and try some prone once I get sighted in.

db

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha DB:

I shot my 10X SS this weekend on my M1A, side by side, with my Leupold Mark 4 16X on my Rem 700 and both gave me excellent performance. I normally start with 100 yd. shots to verify zero then shoot the steel plates and targets from 200 to 430 yds.

On the Leupold I use a firing solution of 42 clicks elevation for 430 yds and seem to do well with that. On the Tasco SS, I simply frame the 430 yd plate with the 2nd and 3rd dot and I am on.

If I didn't get a super good deal on the Mark 4, I probably would be shooting the Tasco SS in 16X which I sold to another board member after getting the Mark 4.

I have 2 Tasco SS 10X scopes left, and after 2 years they are still working fine for me... I hope yours serves you as well... :lol:

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'Evening Tom - Thanks for the info on the scope. I figured if you tested them and liked 'em, they've got to be good scopes.

BTW - I'm with Six on the pic. Just want to see another pic of that beautiful rifle you've got it resting on. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

db

·
Registered
151 Posts
duckbuck said:
for my new Tasco SS 16X. Should be here by Friday. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Couldn't beat the price and the reports I've been reading over the past few months convinced me to buy one.

I'm gonna try mounting it and hitting the range Saturday, weather permitting. Think I'll take my old poncho liner out (it works for me :mrgreen: ) and try some prone once I get sighted in.

db
Hi duckbuck,

Congrats on the new purchase!

I'm currently in the market for a good but inexpensive scope (I really wish I had $800.00 to fork out for a Leupold) but times are a bit hard at the moment.

Anyway, how much was the Tasco and where did you end up getting it from??? Could you post a link? Also would like to see some pics of the Tasco mounted on your rifle if possible.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
This is the 16X that I purchased from Tom.O....I had it on my DMR stock

Haven't had the time to sight it in and shoot with it, Stock is still at Whamo-Camo for that special camo job, but I do believe it is a nice one.... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a SS 10x Side focus on a Rem 308 LTR bolt gun and a regular SS 10x on a "evil" AR Heavy barrel.

Still planning on getting a Smith mount and one for my M14. Should I go 10x or 16x?
thanks

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi Thomjb:

Of the Tasco scopes that I owned and used, I like the 10X and th 16X the best! The 16X gives you that extra magnification but does not pick up the heat waves, etc. and the mil-dots are still small and usable.

On the 20X, I felt that the mil-dots were a bit too large and there was a very limited field of view. I am sure that some may like this, but I had a hard time getting used to it.

The 16X was a good compromise. Now that I also use the Leupold Mark 4 16X, I think I should have kept the 16X and sold one of the 10X scopes... I think either way you go, you'll be happy.

I have heard so many horror stories about Tasco scopes that with each scope I purchased, I waited for them to break, but so far 2-3 years and still going strong...

DB should be able to give you a more current assessment on a 16X as soon as he gets out there...

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.