M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Great thread, piggunner. Have you ever read the book "Guns Up" by Johnnie M. Clark? Great read about his time in Vietnam with the M60.

Anyway, this is my (then 10 year old) daughter last fall with a Remington 521-T Jr Special. I think it was built in the early 40's. .22 short, long or LR. She is obviously having a good time. She hung the target, an SR-1, in her room. No AR shooting for her just yet though

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great thread, piggunner. Have you ever read the book "Guns Up" by Johnnie M. Clark? Great read about his time in Vietnam with the M60.

Anyway, this is my (then 10 year old) daughter last fall with a Remington 521-T Jr Special. I think it was built in the early 40's. .22 short, long or LR. She is obviously having a good time. She hung the target, an SR-1, in her room. No AR shooting for her just yet though

She has the 60 gunner left hand grip on the stock!!!!! She's a natural!!!!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My kids start on the good'ol Daisy Red Ryder BB gun at about 5yrs'ol.
They get to terrorize pop cans and toy army men in the backyard.

Then once they've proven themselves safe and responsible with that they move to either my Marlin model 60 or Ruger 10/22.

Then the Savage 22.WMR, then the AR15s and after that whatever they wish to shoot.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
What age would you start a kid on a .22 LR? My friend's son wants me to take him sometime, but he is only 6 right now. I thought maybe in a couple years.
5yrs'ol is not too young if they're mature enough to memorize and exercise the Golden Rules.
Just be willing to be 100℅ hands on with them.
The range day is theirs, not yours.
Just like fishing with kids, I'm too busy with them to fish myself.

By the time my youngest boy was 7 yrs I could set him down with a brick of ammo and not have to hover.
He is now 11yrs and is a safety nazi, and the range owner would rather have him on the line than many adults.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,547 Posts
Just don't do like my Brother did to me, he let me shoot 6 rounds out of a Ruger Single 6 and then gave me a Super Blackhawk with some med loaded handloads. I hit what I was aiming at with it, I turned out OK but it might have negative affects on kids nowadays.

Casey

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I had a 8mm Turkish Mauser as my first rifle. I plan to pass it on to my first son ( when I decide to start being responsible and not buy M14 stuff all the time like that's ever going to happen) when he turns 8.

But no kids yet. Not wife........possibly ever.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,547 Posts
I had a 8mm Turkish Mauser as my first rifle. I plan to pass it on to my first son ( when I decide to start being responsible and not buy M14 stuff all the time like that's ever going to happen) when he turns 8.

But no kids yet. Not wife........possibly ever.
I have a turk 8mm that I cut the barrel down to 18" and drilled and tapped it for a scope and mounted a cheap 4x scope, I cut the stock down put a slip on recoil pad on it. it is my truck gun, it will shoot 2 MOA with good ammo or about 6 MOA with old surplus ammo, I can keep them all on a paper plate most of the time, it kicks like a mule.
I have another turk that is all original, they had them on sale for 50$ each at the time so I bought 2!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Proud Dad

Well I started him late but, my 14 year old, with the dad accurized mini14.

100 yards
Bench
32 degrees
Windy

Accu strut.
Accuracy Systems, adjustable gas block, guide spring, & shock buffer.
Choate hand guard, relieved in M14 style.
Nikon P223.

Not bad for a notoriously less than accurate rifle, and a new shooter.

The plan is to build confidence with the scope, then take the scope away.............DI5

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
That's a great plan, kind of like training wheels. You keep that target and tell him you did this with a scope it ain't the rifle. I'm not says be hard on him just use that as a confidence builder. If he is stacking them like that with a mini you might have some competition on your hands in the near future.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
My grandson had BB gun training at 5
At 6 he started with a cricket
He is now 8 , the cricket is way too short for him as with the last outing 2 weeks ago
Tossing up between a 10-22 or a 30 carbine

Reactions: ColdWarPigGnR

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My grandson had BB gun training at 5
At 6 he started with a cricket
He is now 8 , the cricket is way too short for him as with the last outing 2 weeks ago
Tossing up between a 10-22 or a 30 carbine
10/22 is a lot cheaper to feed.........

and you can buy tons-o accessories for him if he sticks with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.