M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading down to Quantico on Thursday to pick up my newest child.
It has been the longest 6 months pregnancy I have ever had to endure.
I will be the proud owner of a U.S.M.C. Match built M1A. I can't wait to shoot this puppy over the weekend. I just checked NOAA and it's going up to 50 degrees on Saturday. WOOHOO.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Joe A. Pics. also please! :D

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I do not mean to rain on your parade, but check your rifle over very thoroughly! Two of my friends who are Highpower shooters had the Marines at Quantico work on their guns and both had problems!

One Supermatch M1A was done very nicely except for one slight problem, which drove my friend right up the wall! He kept getting flyers in slow prone at 600 yards, nine shots in the X & 10 then one in the 8 or 7, never figured out what the problem was.

He eventually sold the rifle to me. I checked it over and found the aperture when elevated to 600 yards, about 28 clicks, had about .25 inch of play in it! Of course when the hood of the sight was bumped occasionally by his glasses during recoil, it gave him an unexpected windage adjustment!

My other friend's rifle's bolt would stick back in the bedding when he first got it back and small pieces of bedding were dropping out of the mag well during firing. Also during rapid fire on the tenth round, the case usually will not extract.

Just want to let you know, to be forewarned is to be forearmed!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tommo for the info. They already shot it and tested some different loads in it. They found a problem with the Titanium mount. The gun actually was shooting better with iron sights than with a scope. They swapped out the Titanium unit for a steel unit and it grouped extremely well. For some reason they could not get any Titanium mount to work with the Springfield receiver. It has them totally perplexed since they can't find any differences between the units. When I talked to the builder yesterday he was very very happy with the accuracy out of the gun. As I told him I'm not looking for pretty I wanted a tack driver. It has a McMillan A1 Camo stock with a black leather cheek piece and the rest is all black. The Barnett heavy barrel has U.S.M.C. Match stamped into it. And yes it has the mandatory evil bayonet lug on the flash suppresser. As far as pictures go it may be a few weeks before I can get some. Mr. I don't need no stinking digital camera finally realizes it would be nice to have one. So I guess I'll have to get off a buck and buy one in the next week or two. At least I'll get a deal after New Years on a nice one.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
ALS;

You will LOVE the McMillan stock! I had my M1A NM'ed and fitted with one 2 yrs. ago by Springfield Inc. and could not be happier!! She is a Shooter but weighs in close to 16lbs. At leat I do not have to hump her any farther than the range!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.