M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been approved from the warden. My wife just said I can finally get my M14. I have been checking them out all over town and I am finding that the average price is ab out $1400. So now the question is which model I love the scout squad but I cant turn down tradition. Which one do I go with the full size of the scout squad. This gun is just going to be for fun on the range. I might take it hunting if I ever go but I am not a big hunter so that will not be the primary use of this weapon. I just want a gun that is really fun to shoot and accurate out to about 300 meters.
So what do you guys think. Standard or scout squad?

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
Heck man, the hard part's over with now that you have the green light!

For what you've listed above, I'd got with the standard. I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions however.

Probably the only common response will be that everyone loves theirs.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You will find that either barrel length will meet your needs. What you need to do now is listen to the part of you which probably knows which one will make you feel the best. It may sound funny, but, pick the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. That said, I really like the scout squad barrel length.GITEN

·
Registered
504 Posts
I own both sizes and personally love the 18" model the best. It balances well, and out to 800 yards will do everything the 22" will do.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
A divorced man once told me:

"it's better to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission"

I think everyone should own a traditional 22" barrel M14/M1A if you can only have one (for a while) I'd start off with one of those.

Be forewarned the platform is like Meth... very addictive.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase approval

Melch79,

Congratulations on your purchase order number approval DI5

Some weapon manufactures to consider.

LRB Arms

7.62mm Firearms

Smith Enterprises

Springfield Armory

Also, I highly suggest you check out the PX on the forum here. Some of the members have built wonderful weapons and need to sell them. Some brand new and some barely used.

M14 Forum PX

Take a little time and do some research about the differences in receivers,and the componets which the rifles are built with as well as the differences in stocks.

Any question that you have once starting your research can be and will be answered here. RNGR1

Monnie

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
Most accurate and the most coslty and heaviest - M21
Best accuracy for the money - Loaded model
Smallest package (and lightest by a small amount) - SOCOM 16
Nice compromise between them all - Scout

They all have the potential to shoot well out to a minimum of 300 yards. I own a standard, a loaded, and a SOCOM16, I love them all but each is setup for it's own purpose. Standard for just plinking out to 600 yards, the loaded for accuracy work out to 800 yards, and the SOCOM16 for hunting out to 300 yards or so and self defense.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Which One?

You are on a roll now. Congratulations!!!

I've got a SA 1990 standard with a 22 in SAK barrel. I have done all the accuracy mod's minus bedding. It's in a JAE Gen2 so bedding is not in the cards.

I love this old rifle and regardless of what I do in the future, I will always have my standard. It was fun to join this forum and tweak the old girl. I have learned alot thanks to this forum and my choice to go standard & accurize.

That's just my opinion. I also see an 18 incher in the crystal ball down the road. LRB M25 with Jon Wolfes fluted 18.5 inch barrel. I'll have to wait a little while for that.

I also started reloading last year and all I can say is, what a way to go!!!

Also, listen to RAMMAC. He has been one of the many mentors to me on this forum.

Congrats!!!

Ole SIlver

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Congrats on getting the OK.

With what you described for useage, I think you would be well served with a standard or the loaded model.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.