M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
The Internet became an official entity in 1991 and it's pretty obvious how badly society has fallen apart since then.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports are you boys talking about???
Anybody with two brain cells can see we've PROgressed!!!
I offer as Proof what used to take TWO hands to do now only takes ONE! We do all this work while holding a telephone that no one EVER TALKS on!!!
Just wait, in 30 more years we will be able to do All this Work with NO HANDS At All!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
We used to have to learn things, remember things by using our brain cells, experience things by going out and challenging ourselves, evaluate things on their own merit, and surviving by developing a critical mind. Now it is so much easier . . . we only have to drink the cool-aid.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We used to have to learn things, remember things by using our brain cells, experience things by going out and challenging ourselves, evaluate things on their own merit, and surviving by developing a critical mind. Now it is so much easier . . . we only have to drink the cool-aid.
There's far more truth to what you said here than face value. This goes very deep in our own society today.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
As much as enjoy the internet and the amount of knowledge that can be gleaned instantaneously, I long for the previously quieter world.

My cell has maybe three apps I use with any regularity(Spotify getting 90% of that), nearly all the sites I visit fit along my favorite/bookmark bar with room to spare(CC/bills are on the drop down), and my tablets are purely for entertainment purposes(reading, movies while traveling).

I think I'm going to need to move to Appalachia to be content with the world.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
While the "internet" has certainly been a boon to the amount of data out there, it reminds me of the old parlor game rumor.

I graduated college in the 1970's, with a degree in Finance/Economics, with a minor in political science, and a number of courses in philosophy, and history (civil and military). A couple of years ago, in a fit of organization and closet cleaning, I almost tossed my old texts and term papers. However, after doing a little cross-referencing I discovered that none of my valuable texts had ever been transcribed to the internet. There were a lot of data which don't have any current web references, no matter the search engine.

Entire events of U.S. history, especially that of the antebellum South and the events leading up to the 1861-1865 War, just aren't there. Economic history of the 19th Century postbellum growth apparently doesn't deserve mention, either.

Thanks very much, but I think I'll hold on to my hard copy texts a bit longer.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
W
While the "internet" has certainly been a boon to the amount of data out there, it reminds me of the old parlor game rumor.

I graduated college in the 1970's, with a degree in Finance/Economics, with a minor in political science, and a number of courses in philosophy, and history (civil and military). A couple of years ago, in a fit of organization and closet cleaning, I almost tossed my old texts and term papers. However, after doing a little cross-referencing I discovered that none of my valuable texts had ever been transcribed to the internet. There were a lot of data which don't have any current web references, no matter the search engine.

Entire events of U.S. history, especially that of the antebellum South and the events leading up to the 1861-1865 War, just aren't there. Economic history of the 19th Century postbellum growth apparently doesn't deserve mention, either.

Thanks very much, but I think I'll hold on to my hard copy texts a bit longer.
Who would have thought your internet charges would become one of your largest utility bills.
I despise Comcast.

·
Registered
472 Posts
By its very nature, the internet is the perfect disinformation and censoring tool. You are allowed one guess as to what ideology controls that tool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts