M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,.......

A friend called me up and asked me if I could cut a shotgun barrel down to 24" for him, He wanted a "home defense" shotgun and he bought this one at a garage sale.... He brings it to me, I look it over,... Offered him a trade and "TA-DA" !..... Yours truly has another shotgun with more questions than answers....

Here's what I know, Ithaca Mod.37 12ga. with U.S. Ordinance stamps. And marked "United States Property". It has the light rolled scene, All serial numbers match, 30" Barrel, checkered forearm and stock, and a "poly-choke" and a build date of 12/1941. You can see the stamps in the pictures..... I can only assume this was a training shotgun for teaching aerial gunners to lead shots....... At least that's my assumption.

So what about it guys ?,.... Lets hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My cousin found/bought one of those (minus the compensator) a few years back over in the Shenandoah Valley at a gun store.

He had it for a few years, then married an evil woman. While married he ended ups selling most of his guns to try to pay her credit card bills. He had some nice/rare guns. By the time he finally ejected from that mess he was down to about 8 guns from the 30 or 40 he had when they got married. Nasty story.

That's what I'd always assumed, bought for training of the gunners on bombers. I'd seen the old videos of the flatbed truck rolling down the road with a guy in the back with a 12 ga. They had clay pigeon throwing machines set up to release clays as the truck drove by and the gunner/trainee had to shoot from the back of that moving truck. That might be fun.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I do recall that the shotguns we used at the on-base skeet ranges were marked US Property, but I do not recall the make or model (40 years will do that)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys,... I'm back...

I guess I screwed up my password and couldn't recover it. So I'm starting from scratch...

Here's my question,

Thanks for all the information guys,... Turns out a piece I have wanted for a long time is coming up for sale,... So The Ithaca (And possibly the LeFever Double with U.S. Ordnance markings ) will probably have to find a new home,.... So,... Just curious. What do you think I should ask for it?... And what would be a good venue to market it through?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
HW, what you have is a WWII proofed Ithaca 37 12 ga shotgun. The serial number would help. I could go into detail but it might be easier for your to read the following:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/5/18/the-ithaca-model-37-in-us-military-service/

The serial number of your gun will help determine exactly what you have.

Yours appears to be original finish, which although well worn it is more desirable.

If you have any additional questions let us know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.