M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey a few months back someone on one these sections was asking about problems with the Sargent & Greenleaf combination locks on our safes.
I had the same problem & have since learned how to overcome & should share this info.
Anybody remember where this was?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,272 Posts
There are 88 threads about Gun Safes in The Geedunk § with 100's of posts, only 24 here in the Broken Arrow §. With several posts talking about there type of locks.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but in the limited time I've had to e-net I've been unable to find the one about the lock problem.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,193 Posts
I tried to help you andy. I contributed to that thread so I tried "to use the search function" many times, as I had been admonished by older members when I first started, and it leaves A LOT to be desired.

I tried in the search function -

-safe lock
-mechanical safe lock
-gun safe lock m14brian
-safe lock m14brian
-s & g m14brian
-sargent & Greenleaf m14brian
-locksmith s & g gun safe lock
-locksmith sargent & Greenleaf gun safe lock

….and NOTHING getting me there. I know all of those words were used in the thread, GI9
Sorry, I tried Sir.
m14brian

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
i tried a few combo's after reading this thread today.
i also came up empty.
Lruss

Reactions: m14brian

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks boys!USNA
Anyway in my continuing effort to "Help Where I Can" here's what I learned about these locks. My safe was exhibiting the same symptoms as the OP of that thread was.
I learned that over time the tumblers can move, rendering the original combination inop.
1st try wiggling the handle slightly as you approach the number you want to stop at. That worked for me a couple of times but was not a long term solution.
So, what you do is go up or down one number from the original combo.
Example: If your combo is L20, R40, L60 & R75 start with L21, R41, L61 & the last one for reasons unknown to me stays the same. If that don't work try two numbers higher- L22, L42, R62 & R75.
If that STILL didn't work repeat but go down- L19, R39, L59 & so on.
In my case I had to drop down one number & the safe pops open ever time 1st try!USNA

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I was having similar issues with a 20-year-old S&G dial lock. I ended up replacing the entire lock. It wasn't too hard following an installation video from S&G tech. I bought the entire lock assembly and followed this video which also covers re-setting the combo to your choice:

https://youtu.be/mjmLG8tNfWQ

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume it's this thread in the geedunk? https://m14forum.com/geedunk/473418-dial-lock-safe.html

If you know the name of a member or even yourself that commented on a thread you can add you're info in the advanced search settings and keywords such as locks or Sargent & Greenleaf.

For instanced I used m14brian and safe locks to find that thread.
Hey thanks for the info & Tutorial!USNA
Knowledge is Power!

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,653 Posts
I have a special S&G combo lock on one of my safes that has Delrin wheel packs that are X-ray proof and melt if you try to use heat to get it open, they were designed for the government. A friend of our family buys lots from the Nevada Test Site and he got a bunch of them when they did a change of all the locks in one of the buildings, this lock is pretty old but it works very good, it is the type that you have to push the dial in to get the nose to drop into the cam so you can open the lock. I bought some change keys for S&G locks off of Ebay so I can change my own combo and not have any body know what they are except me. If you change you own number make sure to open a bunch of times with the door open to make sure it is right.

Casey

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
When my broken electronic lock was replaced by a dial S&G, the locksmith told me that I should periodically change the combination so the tumblers don't wear. His recommendation was yearly.
I guess that I really should do it......... it's only been about 16 years.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,193 Posts
Good advice above, all.

My experience was that the screw that held the locking arm had come loose, almost to falling completely out and it would've locked up the safe completely, and it was doing exactly as andyh1956's was but it was only going 1/2 step off, in-between the graduated lines. So if trying a full number or two away isn't working try 1/2 numbers as well and it may work.
I was lucky, I got tired of messing with it and I called my old boss and he came out and tightened it up and lubed it and gave it a PM while he was there and changed the combo. He said if I would've opened it a handful or a dozen more times like that, the screw would've worked itself all the way off, then it would've been the drill...NO fun trust me.
When they're acting up like this it's a sign to call a locksmith and do it while the service call is cheap, he drills and it could be a $500 bill.
m14brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts