M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of the M1D's being shipped to Isreal during the 1967 war and then being shipped back to the US?
I bought an Winchester M1D and the person who sold it to me told me it was re-imported from Isreal. Sounds like a fish story
but the barrel has the correct marking,has the cone flash hider,the cheekpiece(MRT 52). I did take the cheek piece off once and it had a SA cartouche underneath where the cheek piece was screwed on.Also has the M-84 scope.
These are not reproduction pieces since I bought the rifle in 1994. Caliber 30.06
I'd like to research this rifle...any suggestions from our community ? CappyXMX

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is interesting.

I had a buddy that was in the Israeli army about the same time. We've had a few conversations about the m14. He never made mention of the M1. He said he did see a few k98s used as sniper rifles though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the intel. The last time I completely stripped this rifle was in 1994. I remember some interesting marking on this barrel underneath the handguard. This rifle is much heavier that the standard M1. I guess I'll have to get my hand dirty...
CappyXMX

·
Registered
82 Posts
It certainly would be interesting if it were true. I think also very in the realm of plausibility. At one point the israelis had one heck of a mixture of weaponry.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surplusfan,

Any idea where to research this M1D? Would there be any records since it may have gone from the US Gov't to Isreal and back? I always wanted to confirm this fish story even though this rifle looks authentic and unaltered. I have seen MANY fakes. and wanna be's over the years.
I had a couple of M1D's back in the early 1980's and a couple of original NM's. They were sweet.
I used to shoot the M1D in Hi-power competition(without the scope of course). Anyway...they are all gone now. ICONSAD

Thanks CAPPYXMX

·
Registered
277 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of the M1D's being shipped to Isreal during the 1967 war and then being shipped back to the US?
I bought an Winchester M1D and the person who sold it to me told me it was re-imported from Isreal. Sounds like a fish story
but the barrel has the correct marking,has the cone flash hider,the cheekpiece(MRT 52). I did take the cheek piece off once and it had a SA cartouche underneath where the cheek piece was screwed on.Also has the M-84 scope.
These are not reproduction pieces since I bought the rifle in 1994. Caliber 30.06
I'd like to research this rifle...any suggestions from our community ? CappyXMX

Cappy,

I came across the other day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5305434910/in/set-72157625615647981/

Underneath the pic it mentions a few of the importers. I would suggest asking over the the CMP forums if you want more info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would go with what jameydan said. Take a jaunt over to the cmp forum and see if you can find anything there. There are alot of people on those boards with a heckuva lot more knowledge in these matters than me. I am most definetely not an expert.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do with the CMP forum.Thanks-it looks like this fish didn't get away after all. CappyXMX

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cass and Garand Guys,
Thanks for the exceptional information. Cass your info was "on the mark". I'm going to check the underside of the barrel for import markings. This is a very nice Garand-I may even share it with a picture this week!!
Thanks Again.... CappyXMX

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I bought one when they first appeared at one of our distributors, I want to say 1989-90. About $600. Nice shooting rifle in decent shape. Sold it 1999-200 for around 2 grand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
long befor I became interested in the Garand I heard stories about the Isrealis using the Garand as sniper rifles. I dont recal if they were sniper rifles to begine with but by the time the Isrealis were done with them they could shoot out to 1000 yards with increadable and consistant accuracy. They prefered them over the m14's.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well...I'll be a rooster in a hen house. It has a Samco Miami marking underneath the barrel. Yahoo... It is an original Winchester M1D Garand. Thanks Cass and everyone else!!!

Cappy XMX

·
Registered
975 Posts
Less than 20 years ago I saw Italian Alpini troops working anti-mafia detail using M-1D's along with BM-59's in Sicily. Most likely they were chambered in 7.62.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well...I'll be a rooster in a hen house. It has a Samco Miami marking underneath the barrel. Yahoo... It is an original Winchester M1D Garand. Thanks Cass and everyone else!!!

Cappy XMX
Great! In terms of provenance as an actual US built M1D, those are second only to an M1D with DCM/CMP or other US government paperwork.

Cass

·
Banned
951 Posts
John Coleman...we may have met.....Yes to the IDF

John.. I flew the alpine units during the anti-Mafia program. C-130's and c160'c. Your are 100% correct the alpiners used the ar70 as a close range weapon, then the BM59 SAW and long range rifle m1d's for obs and cover fire for units storming mountian side homes (villas). Also has 2 big ass German shepards quite calm untill given the "command". Italian alpine units today still use the bm59 and bm 62(CAR) . they are some of the finest military operaters in that country. As to the IDF using m1c and m1d's...they did indeed. As others noted some came on the market in the 1980's. The IDF has a long history of using whats on hand ( or easy to get a hold of), ease of use, cost....the M14 (lend lease) and the Garands were part of the arms sales from post 1973 war as I recall. the Nimrod scope set up is a example of their improving a good weapons platform.USAF2

·
Registered
975 Posts
John.. I flew the alpine units during the anti-Mafia program. C-130's and c160'c. Your are 100% correct the alpiners used the ar70 as a close range weapon, then the BM59 SAW and long range rifle m1d's for obs and cover fire for units storming mountian side homes (villas). Also has 2 big ass German shepards quite calm untill given the "command". Italian alpine units today still use the bm59 and bm 62(CAR) . they are some of the finest military operaters in that country. As to the IDF using m1c and m1d's...they did indeed. As others noted some came on the market in the 1980's. The IDF has a long history of using whats on hand ( or easy to get a hold of), ease of use, cost....the M14 (lend lease) and the Garands were part of the arms sales from post 1973 war as I recall. the Nimrod scope set up is a example of their improving a good weapons platform.USAF2
I was there on vacation. They had check points set up on the roads after a couple of bridges and cars were blown up to kill judges and witnesses. I noticed the BM-59's the Garands with M-1D scope mounts and the Alpini troops the feather in their hats.

·
Registered
274 Posts
As explained in my books, Sherwood and Samco split the lot. Some had been in Israel since well before 1967, and some the Israelis had purchased "cash and carry" from Europe.

One of the more interesting specimens I bought at Sherwood had a YUGOSLAVIAN barrel, with clearly traditional proofs and codes in Cyrillic, and a typically disjointed version of the GI part number. Another had several German Sauer & Son parts.

In fact, import mark or no, they stand a far higher chance of being relatively unmodified than do DCM/CMP specimens, albeit never let it be said that markets are rational.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Back in the '90s I bought a whole case of carbines from Davidsons & I was told by the salesman there that they were from Israel. Don't remember the importer though but I do remember my cost was $400 + postage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts