M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a nice 76,*** serial numbered M1A for the asking price of $1099.00 with all HR parts except the op rod which is a TRW . Also, it sits in a black composite stock, which I think is an SAI. I would have snapped this up immediately but there was one issue that concerned me and that was the bolt stop would not hold the bolt back. On this one, even using my finger to raise the bolt stop, it would barely engage the bottom portion of the lug and the bolt refused to stay locked back. The bolt stop looked normal as well as the bolt and I'm wondering if there is an issue with the bolt stop window, which isn't allowing the stop to raise fully.

Any ideas? I'd hate to have spend some extra cash to make it right because maybe my good deal might not be such a good deal after all. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I would jump all over it. I had one that had the window too shallow for height and I took a die grinder and cone shaped carbide tool and relieved it.....works good now.

They are really hard metal though so I doubt a dremel or any old tool would work on it. Also a diamond file will work and are expensive, but buy a couple of them with what you saved on the rifle......One more option is to relieve a notch on the two corners where it hits the top of the window, off of the bolt stop. ....Normally you always work the cheaper part first, but if you ever sold it to anyone, you would have to tell them it is bolt stop specific if you didn't fix the receiver......Go for it !!!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I'd jump it. You are saying this is an early springfield with some usgi parts? The only way I would hesitate is if it were chinese. If it is within 100 miles of memphis and you don't get it tell me were it is please.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Buy that rifle and change your bolt stop. An empty magazine will hold that bolt back if nothing else. Sounds like a great buy to me.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Don't hesitate to go back and get it. If you do it will probably be gone and you will be kicking yourself! HURRY HURRY Don't let grass grow under your feet. DISHOUT

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I'd jump all over it, at the price of USGI parts these days you could part it out for more than the asking price. If it's a SAI receiver, when all else fails send it in for the SAI Lifetime warranty on the bolt stop.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If it's a commercial SA Inc bolt stop they are cast. It might just be worn out. But if you are in the market for a rifle this is the one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I ran back and bought it and I'm glad I did. The bolt stop might be one of the cast ones because the face wasn't square, and wasn't making good contact with the lug. As a temporary measure before I get a new stop, I trued up the face and it's working fine now.

Also, another neat feature that I just noticed is that the flash supressor is unreamed. I plan on getting it out this weekend to give it a shake down.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle. You won't be sorry you bought that one.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Yes, with your low serial #, you got a good deal. I had a loaded in the 96,*** range that gave left hand side feeding problems caused by an out of spec SAI cast bolt stop. Sent back to SAI and replaced w/USGI. Not a lick of problems since. Even in some early rifles SAI used cast parts if they ran out of "cheap" USGI parts. Since it seems you have "fixed" your problem, just keep looking for any unusual wear on the back of the bolt stop. dozier

1 - 11 of 11 Posts