·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the load: 45.6 grains of imr 4064
Nosler 155 gr HPBT
Remington RP brass
CCI Primer

I have 60 0f these I loaded notwith a m1a in mind. Are they suitable for an m1a even if I use just this 60 and step the charge down for the empties I'll reload afterwards? Thanks Boom Stick

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
IMHO your right at the top with the powder charge. Good thing your using commercial brass. Did you size the brass for a specific chamber? Again this is IMHO. I would try the first five rounds and examine each round of brass after firing for signs of over pressure. If non of them look bad I'd go ahead and shoot the rest of the rounds.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Everybodys rifle is different, but my Remnigton RP brass that was loaded with 41.0 gr's of IMR4895 (i know, different powder) started a ring at the case head after one firing of 168 gr BTHP.

Hope this gives you some input.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
That's getting pretty hot, you can probably fire one without causing any safety issues if the rifle is in good shape and the bolt goes in to battery correctly. If you test fire one I would recommend checking the muzzle velocity on the first round, if it is up around 2800 FPS then the chamber pressure is probably running about 56,000 PSI. I try to keep my loads at no higher than 54,000 PSI but I have fired ammo that supposedly ran about upwards of 60,000 PSI without injury to me or the rifle (No, I don't recommend it, it was a mistake on my part and not intentional).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Everybodys rifle is different, but my Remnigton RP brass that was loaded with 41.0 gr's of IMR4895 (i know, different powder) started a ring at the case head after one firing of 168 gr BTHP.

Hope this gives you some input.
Case head separation isn't an indication of an overpressure round. It is more likely to be excessive headspace.

It sounds to me like an awfully hot load.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Why subject a cast receiver to that much stress? Why risk your eyes?? I am never looking for the fastest load when shooting my M-1A, but rather the most accurate.

We are only talking 60 rounds. Pull them down with a inertia bullet puller and start over if you have any doubts....or shot them in a bolt gun.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
We are only talking 60 rounds. Pull them down with a inertia bullet puller and start over if you have any doubts....or shot them in a bolt gun.
I'm right there with him... $30 worth of reloads isn't worth a $1500 rifle.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Seems kinda hot to me It's been a while but looking at my notes in some loaded ammo, I start seeing flat primers around 44.6, and most of my loads using that bullet, powder and brass are in the 44.2-44.4 for these rifles. Does give me superb accuracy when I use them in the Dragunov.

·
Registered
228 Posts
too hot ?

when in doubt just dont pull the trigger, I have a basic safety rule that applies both here and to most situations elsewhere, " its a real pain when it doesn't start, but it much worse when it won't stop " it's best to just walk away from a potentially bad situation.
Like it was already stated just dont use them in your gas gun. I also have found my reloads gave better accuracy when loaded just above the starting point in my Speer manual. why mess with fate, as it'll only take one to ruin your day.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Lets not forget the cci #34 nato primers are magnum primers and can increase the powder charge by 1 1/2gr to 2grs (breech pressure)more so i load the charges lower when i use the #34 nato primers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.