M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What kind of bolt is this? It appears to be a Garand WWll bolt with the roller shaft machined. Can't find any info on these. GB item #'s

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
It's not a M14 bolt. My guess is that it is a M1E3 bolt but I'm not a M1 Garand guru.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It is commercial alteration. In the early 1970's many M1 rifles were altered to use front M14 parts. When the M14 op rod was used, the bolt had a roller installed.

The rifle has M1 Bolt, M14 Op Rod, and complete M14 barrel assembly (gas system, sight, flash suppressor etc.). This version remained the 8 round clips, not a magazine.

I have one of the rifles from 1972.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Another point:

I also have seen several parts, including op rods and bolts for the early T series of rifles. They were marked with something like this:

S XXXXX, of S-XXXXX

They had an S for Springfield Armory and 5 digits that were part of Springfield's lone use. Once a part got standardized it went into the Ordnance Part Number system and got what was available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess my embarrassed "close friend" GI8 who purchased one of these for his CMP kit build didn't do too good.
Caveat emptor

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not being familiar with the technicalities of the M14 style rifle, does this mean a Garand bolt such as this roller modified one would work in a M14 receiver?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts