M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help identifying a recently inherited this barreled action. The receiver says Springfield Serial No. 006xxx. So I supposed that is one of the first 6,000 made? Is this possible? Strangely, there are no markings on the heavy barrel and I am wondering what it is. Why would it have no markings? It appears to be chrome lined as well. The bolt says 7790186 SA CC1 or CCL. Is the 3 letter code a heat treatment or metal stock lettering? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
You can call Springfield and give them the serial number and they'll tell you how the receiver went out of the factory and when and they may have some information on the unmarked bbl.

Sorry, I don't have the knowledge base to tell you first hand. If no one knows, you could check Different's guide on M1As on M14.ca.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
You got good stuff there if the barrel still has good accuracy in it. Different will be able to tell you who was making heavy barrels for SAI late '70's, if anybody. Barrel could have been added to a receiver at any time.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
calling a barreled action NM is impossible. There are too many other things that have to happen to a rifle before it can be considered NM. Bedding, rear sight, gas system, trigger, in addition to the barrel. I would call what you have a barreled action with a heavy contour barrel.

i don't know if your close-up of the chamber is crooked or what, but I'm not sure that the barrel is indexed properly from that pic.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,024 Posts
Call Springfield Armory Inc. customer service @ #800-680-6868.

DI5

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,620 Posts
It's not a factory SM barrel. The serial number appears to be three numbers which puts it very early, probably Devine production receiver so it's interesting, but not all that special. Many receivers were sold unassembled even then.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
calling a barreled action NM is impossible. There are too many other things that have to happen to a rifle before it can be considered NM. Bedding, rear sight, gas system, trigger, in addition to the barrel. I would call what you have a barreled action with a heavy contour barrel.

i don't know if your close-up of the chamber is crooked or what, but I'm not sure that the barrel is indexed properly from that pic.
Feed ramp location is actually not a proper way to determine proper indexing. I have 2 barrels I've installed that are indexed (front sight dovetail to rear sight flat) to the 10th of a degree, and the ramp center is not at 6 oclock. Anyway, that pic just shows the chamber and not any of the receiver so impossible to tell even if this was a valid way of determining index.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all - will cal SA and report back.
im definitely going to try to respect it's age and build it with proper parts that would have been used when the receiver was built.

thanks again
Joe

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The good news about M1A's is that, unlike with the M1 Garand, there's nothing historic or collectible about them. So if you use USGI M14 rifle parts you'll have good parts, or should. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.