M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very nice USGI walnut stock that I pulled off of a Springfield loaded M1A many years ago. It has a loose, un-crimped ferrule on it. Is there a tool I can get to crimp it? My other M1A has a USGI stock with the half-moon crimp, which I like.

I've searched high and low for a tool that addresses this issue, but I can't seem to find anything. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Better if you

I have a very nice USGI walnut stock that I pulled off of a Springfield loaded M1A many years ago. It has a loose, un-crimped ferrule on it. Is there a tool I can get to crimp it? My other M1A has a USGI stock with the half-moon crimp, which I like.

I've searched high and low for a tool that addresses this issue, but I can't seem to find anything. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Epoxy it on, you will be ahead of additional future problems. art

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Good advice Art.

I am not aware of a tool although I am sure there is one. I made one from a pair of channel locks that stay pinned with the jaws at a certain width, I then ground the upper jaw to shape to make the half moon when biting down. I also like to hull out a small amount of wood under where it clamps to give the metal somewhere to go without wrinkling. I also use epoxy to glue them on.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Good advice Art.

I am not aware of a tool although I am sure there is one. I made one from a pair of channel locks that stay pinned with the jaws at a certain width, I then ground the upper jaw to shape to make the half moon when biting down. I also like to hull out a small amount of wood under where it clamps to give the metal somewhere to go without wrinkling. I also use epoxy to glue them on.
You left out the part with the concrete Rip GI2

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Dimpling pliers can be had. I've never seen any half-moons from a hardware dealer. Or you could support the barrel channel with a tight, fat wooden dowel and pop the ferrule with a sharp punch. But either way you'll want to glue it. I'm gonna use Gorilla Glue on my next one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. Is there a preferred method to this? Should I apply the epoxy to the stock and then stick on the ferrule? Or should I apply the epoxy to the inside of the ferrule and then put it on the stock? I'm sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but I'm not too mechanical, and I want to make sure this is done right.

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have watched a master do this to my rifle. I think it only took less than a teaspoon. I don't think it is really going to matter which you apply to first, stock or ferrule, in the end, it is going to squeeze out and you will want to wipe off all the excess with a wet rag. Give it about 1.5 hrs and go back and look at it. At that point you could clean up any epoxy left on your stock. It should scratch off with a wood or plastic edged tool.

There are also other modifications you could do to your rifle before you do this. I have seen the bottom of the ferrule cut out to help float the barrel(at least I think that is the point of it), but if you aren't too mechanically inclined, you may want to stick to the epoxy and call it a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts