M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to sell a parts kit. The kit will include a new chrome-lined Criterion bbl, new TRW bolt, gently used op rod & trigger group, a stock, etc. My only question would be is it more profitable to sell everything separately or as a kit. I'm not sure I want the hassle of parting it out but as usual and like everyone else, I want a fair price.

The receiver will be sold separately not as a component of the kit.

Your thoughts...

Bruce

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,636 Posts
Is the value of the parts greater than the sum? Bruce
That's what happens to stripped down cars and places that part out every thing.

DI5

·
Premium Member
18,882 Posts
Most of the time, if you are looking for profit only, parts would be the way to go. I think it comes down to the morality of the whole thing. When I look at what I paid for parts 20 plus years ago and what they are worth today on the open market it makes me feel sorry for those just getting a start. Not sorry enough to take anything apart, but the thought has entered my mind. With any kind of luck folks will come along in the near future to produce components of higher quality than the old USGI. Until then , like Scrooge McDuck, I babble to myself over collectibles.
It is a tough decision to make, but I am sure in the end it will be the right one for you.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Premium Member
7,977 Posts
I'm getting ready to sell a parts kit. The kit will include a new chrome-lined Criterion bbl, new TRW bolt, gently used op rod & trigger group, a stock, etc. My only question would be is it more profitable to sell everything separately or as a kit. I'm not sure I want the hassle of parting it out but as usual and like everyone else, I want a fair price.

The receiver will be sold separately not as a component of the kit.

Your thoughts...

Bruce
Not many can afford the cost of a quality complete kit, so your best bet would be to separate the parts and list them individually. Its a bigger pain in the butt but more players bring more money.

Example: Treeline and Windycitysourcing nolonger offer complete kits, they have the parts to do so, but don't because its more profitable to separate and sell.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Renisin - Are you sure about the reason that Treeline and Windy City no longer sell the kits? It just might be as simple as they do not have USGI Op Rod Springs and can not sell a complete USGI kit (or other USGI part missing). I have no idea if that is the case but to make a statement that they are doing something just to make more money might be incorrect.

Just a thought...

SMAWman

·
Registered
531 Posts
Renisin - Are you sure about the reason that Treeline and Windy City no longer sell the kits? It just might be as simple as they do not have USGI Op Rod Springs and can not sell a complete USGI kit (or other USGI part missing). I have no idea if that is the case but to make a statement that they are doing something just to make more money might be incorrect.

Just a thought...

SMAWman
Think you might be right. WCS is showing out of stock on kits. Bought a Winny kit in April from WCS and he was out of TRW at the time. Whatever the case may be, I am glad I got it when I did. I would hate to have to track down all the parts or sit and wait for a kit to come up.

·
Premium Member
7,977 Posts

Just a thought...

SMAWman
Sir, I am one hundred percent certain!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Most of the time, if you are looking for profit only, parts would be the way to go. I think it comes down to the morality of the whole thing. When I look at what I paid for parts 20 plus years ago and what they are worth today on the open market it makes me feel sorry for those just getting a start. Not sorry enough to take anything apart, but the thought has entered my mind. With any kind of luck folks will come along in the near future to produce components of higher quality than the old USGI. Until then , like Scrooge McDuck, I babble to myself over collectibles.
It is a tough decision to make, but I am sure in the end it will be the right one for you.

Semper Fi
Art
Well hey, Scrooge McDuck, feel free to drop a few of those eggs my way! LOL, I'm one of those newbies thinking if only I'd got bitten by this bug 10 or 15 years ago...(insert heavy sigh here)

but yeah, you don't see parts kits moving as fast as individual parts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would list it as a kit for the price of the sum of the parts with a small discount for convenience. If it doesn't sell part it out. It is tuff to find a complete set of high quality parts anymore. Be sure to post plenty of pictures and be ready for lowball offers.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Wouldn't you rather turn that parts kit into another rifle or keep it on hand for spare parts? BGRIN1

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Listen MM

Do the math on parting it out. Now take that sum minus a small discount. Throw it up In the px.

Items that end up discussed in threads always sell anyway.

I don't think it's possible to get an unfair price from the seller perspective.

ONE thing about parts and sums...

The person who builds is a key factor.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Parts

Parting it out will make you more money, but will take weeks and 20 trips to the PO. Parting out will make you more friends on this forum.

Selling the whole kit will be less money, but you are paying (getting less $) for less hassle.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I had another thought on this. If you offer it with or without the barrel it might sell easier. A lot of people are going to want to choose a barrel. And a new barrel is always a quick sale. You make it 10 bucks cheaper than current new prices and pay the shipping (within reason) it will last 30 minutes maybe. Plus that is a price that is very easy to validate,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts