M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been conversing with my gun friends via the World Wide Web. We have been discussing the viability of the T44 being legal in Md. since its not marked "M14". Some say that since it was not written in as an exempted gun such as the HBAR Ar-15 that its banned. I argued the point that the ar-10 is similar to the ar-15 caliber aside. The style is the same and it was never written in as exempt. You can buy the thing cash and carry in Md..... I know that there is no better source for wisdom, and bound to be some people familiar with Md. gun laws. Can one of you set this straight?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
The Maryland law appears to say that if the rifle isn't listed then it falls under a criteria of whether or not it's a copycat and whether or not it has 'banned features' like pistol grip, flash hider, whatever.

Maryland gunowners and Maryland NRA need to take a close look at what is happening here in California especially how the 'series' ban language was struck down. Example, they used to say "AR-15=ALL, AK 47=ALL" and we got that tossed out because it was unconstitutionally vague.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,039 Posts
Better get one now before they catch it, because when they don't get it the first time they go by name, they try by features, then by name again, then try to ban by category, etc., it doesn't stop. I always want to ask these "representatives" if it was so evil, how could they miss it the first time? Are they wrong then or now?
m14brian

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I've been looking for the answer to the same question.... I suppose it boils down to finding a FFL who wants to roll the dice and transfer one?

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been looking for the answer to the same question.... I suppose it boils down to finding a FFL who wants to roll the dice and transfer one?
Yeah, I'm not sure how the law works in regards to this. If an FFL decided that their interpretation of the law says I can have it, and the MSP allows the transfer. Does one assume its legal? I'd be waiting for a knock at the front door...... I need more assurance than a gutsy FFL.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
An AR-10type rifle with a2 stock and a muzzle brake should be fine under Maryland law. Any more than just pistol grip looks like a problem though.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The AR-10 is Cash and Carry in Maryland with a NCIC background check.. The T44-E4 is the unknown here due to it not being specifically named in the law in addition to the fact that There is no language to M-14 "Type" Rifles as was done under the law with regard to .223/5.56 AR type rifles.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
even if you could find an ffl that would take the chance I would doubt lrb would even ship it to Maryland and risk their entire business you might want to call and ask them if theyd even ship it, could save you a lot of time

·
Registered
630 Posts
FFL's are the biggest scam in the country, all because of the 1968 law using jfk's death as an excuse to put the screws to us. Do a private sale....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure how the law works in regards to this. If an FFL decided that their interpretation of the law says I can have it, and the MSP allows the transfer. Does one assume its legal? I'd be waiting for a knock at the front door...... I need more assurance than a gutsy FFL.
I have never known a politician to ever interpret the word/term "Legal" in the correct fashion. Especially when or whenever not it suits them to do so. Under the Constitution it is LEGAL, under state and or local law it may not be. Last time I checked, The Constitution was the law of the land. No state legislator has the right to infringe upon your Constitutional Rights.......The SCOTUS has proven that in Heller & MacDonald........

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
FFL's are the biggest scam in the country, all because of the 1968 law using jfk's death as an excuse to put the screws to us. Do a private sale....
Do a private sale...of a LRB TE44-E4...in Maryland?

Color me skeptical...

(That's the Topic of This Thread!)

GI5

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: RealtorEHS

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I would like to avoid the early morning knock at the door, which will involve me in a losing battle of legal terminology. I'm not that savvy and the folks at the door are quite simply not going to be sympathetic to my beliefs.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Has anyone stopped and thought about the fact that the original T44 program was a selective fire weapon.
Personally I wouldn't a heel stamp with anything that I had to argue over in a court of law, no matter how cool it's suppose to be.
Pick M something other than 14 might be a better idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts