M14 Forum banner

Is the M14 still relevant?

3521 Views 37 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  Ted Brown
Update on page 2
I picked up and M1A with a wood stock and while I am working the finish I wanted to see if I could answer that question.

Machine gun Wood Air gun Military camouflage Gun barrel

New with the old. Had to test accuracy out of the box! 3 MOA was satisfactory since I rarely shoot irons.

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

SA Synthetic stock, painted vented handguard, shimmed gas block, HVAC tape bedding ;), Amazon cheek riser, and finally the Bassett Mount for the LPVO!

Sky Plant Cemetery Headstone Grave

Coldbore group… in love…

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun
Gotta check my iron’s zero!
Brown Rectangle Wood Road surface Beige

Not too bad. Easy to see .30 cal vs 6.5mm!

Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Air gun Auto part

Strange nose dive FTF. Mag is a CMI.

Sleeve Art Font Rectangle Painting

Accuracy is on par with an issued Geissele Upper. Bottom two groups are with warm barrel, no rear support, and not taking my time.

In general:
After going to the range many times with a irons, a red dot, and this LPVO, definitely still relevant! That being said, recoil control, 5-15yd drills are far harder than with a straight line design. It really helps to have a real fiberglass handguard and a slightly elevated optic. That combo allowed a good c-clamp grip. It weighs 10lbs as pictured, not too bad! I see this as an ideal mid ranger with the ability to work up close if need be.

Future:
After a little tweaking, it was fine out to 300yds shooting ~10” plates. With LC M80 accuracy is alright, but the Hornady 150 Interlok shoots better. Hopefully I will get out to the 400yd range and test some 168 GMM when the wood stock is finished. For now, the interlocks fit the ACSS Raptor perfectly!

PS
Air gun Trigger Gesture Gun barrel Gun accessory

Weird nose dive with CMI mag. Tapping/hitting the spine that fixes an AR mag does little to nothing…
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Well the answer is easy then, chuck that mag.
FWIW, sometimes you can fix the problem by simply switching out the guts, so long as it's not a manufacturing defect. I had a mag that would not allow the bolt on my M21to lock to the rear. I determined it was the 'ear' on the follower. In an effort to not have to discard the entire magazine, I switched out the spring and follower with those of another mag, just to see if it made any difference. I'm happy to report that BOTH Magazines are functioning flawlessly. Needless to say, I was very pleased at the outcome.

· Registered
210 Posts
I’ll take a M14 platform any day.
Here, here! Went to get my annual physical the other day, complete workups as per the norm. Labs came back with the following notation. Blood is of an unusual constitution. While mostly red, there was also the presence of white and blue platelets. The shape of the platelets was most unusual, being elongated, and VERY reminiscent of the U. S. Rifle, Cal. 7.62MM, M14. Next stop: the 'cabbage doctor'. "What does this shape remind you of?" 🤣

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Machine gun Plant Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Minimal bedding job in a USGI fiberglass, tuned w/ a Schuster Gas Plug, and threw on my Mark 3HD. I shot one sighter group that was 5 shots 1.25” with 175 GMM.

Machine gun Shotgun Military camouflage Air gun Wood

Testing 175GMM,150 Interloks, and M80 yielded fantastic results. Fast hits on small steel plates at 200 and 300 yards. Gave it to someone with basically no shooting experience and they were making easy hits! Ready and excited to hit the 400 yard range.

Edit: This thing only weights 10 pounds. Still lighter than a Sig M5…

· Registered
63 Posts
A lot of guns I enjoy are "irrelevant" in the sense that they wouldn't be my first choice to carry into a warzone, the M14 included. But older guns often have a character that results in a more enjoyable experience for me than the newer AR15's and Glocks. I think people will be shooting the M14 and its derivatives for many years, including for warfare (as evidenced in Ukraine.

At the end of the day a 7.62 round from an M14 will kill someone dead just as much as a round from whatever the latest whiz bang gadgetry is.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Finally!
12” and silhouette steel at 400 yards was “grheat suhcess”!

Cloud Sky Tree Air gun Plant

Man, this was a fun project to work through!
~600 rounds atm

Lock & Barrel:
Accuracy with all the stocks tested is a testimony to the barrel. <2” with good loads, ~3.5” with cheap M80. The action has broken in nicely and has had no issues. Flash hider was loose in the beginning and after tightening it, the groups tightened up. I push this rifle hard and it keeps chuggin.

Stock:
Chassis’ and pistol grips definitely have their place but the classic riflestock is still very versatile. The fiberglass USGI I got was very loose but after bedding is consistent. I can remove the action, reinstall, and it will maintain zero. Cheek rest is a must for a repeatable sight picture.

Scope Mounts
UTG was actually really adequate. Didn’t align perfects over the barrel but was really solidly mounted

ARMS 18 didn’t fit my receiver. Felt solid but finishing machining and coating was junk compared to even the UTG.(roast me)

Bassett, it just werks. Period.

Sadlak Aluminum is super light, very solid, but take care with installation. I’m sticking with this….on this rifle;)

Sights:
Irons are fantastic. Better than M16A2. Super easy to use.

LPVO is maybe perfect for this rifle. Good mix of size, weight, and optical advantage.

MPVO adds significant weight and bulk. The trade off is that it really does help at 300yds+.

Red Dot+Bassett for easy mode. GTG

Overall:
The title of the thread is tongue in cheek. People go on about M14/M1A being junk and that is total BS. This is a fantastic long arm that bridges the gap of useful tool and cool piece of history. 10/10

· Registered
735 Posts
ARMS 18 didn’t fit my receiver. Felt solid but finishing machining and coating was junk compared to even the UTG.(roast me)
No roast needed. The ARMS didn't fit my receiver well either. I sorta hacked it up a bit to get it to work, but ultimately just pulled it off and went a different direction.

· Registered
13 Posts
As with all weapons, it's more the Indian than the arrow.
That being said, I'll take a classic design throwing 308 arrow over varmint rounds. Realizing there's a lot to be said for the 556, when I'm staring down a four legged dinner or aggressor, or a two legged aggressor, I'll not carry something smaller than 30 caliber. 556 requires medical attention, 308 requires a body bag. I don't want to need to shoot someone or an animal twice if it isn't needed.

· Premium Member
71 Posts
I picked up and M1A with a wood stock and while I am working the finish I wanted to see if I could answer that question.

View attachment 485417
New with the old. Had to test accuracy out of the box! 3 MOA was satisfactory since I rarely shoot irons.

View attachment 485431
SA Synthetic stock, painted vented handguard, shimmed gas block, HVAC tape bedding ;), Amazon cheek riser, and finally the Bassett Mount for the LPVO!

View attachment 485432
Coldbore group… in love…

View attachment 485433 Gotta check my iron’s zero!
View attachment 485434
Not too bad. Easy to see .30 cal vs 6.5mm!

View attachment 485435
Strange nose dive FTF. Mag is a CMI.

View attachment 485438
Accuracy is on par with an issued Geissele Upper. Bottom two groups are with warm barrel, no rear support, and not taking my time.

In general:
After going to the range many times with a irons, a red dot, and this LPVO, definitely still relevant! That being said, recoil control, 5-15yd drills are far harder than with a straight line design. It really helps to have a real fiberglass handguard and a slightly elevated optic. That combo allowed a good c-clamp grip. It weighs 10lbs as pictured, not too bad! I see this as an ideal mid ranger with the ability to work up close if need be.

Future:
After a little tweaking, it was fine out to 300yds shooting ~10” plates. With LC M80 accuracy is alright, but the Hornady 150 Interlok shoots better. Hopefully I will get out to the 400yd range and test some 168 GMM when the wood stock is finished. For now, the interlocks fit the ACSS Raptor perfectly!

PS
View attachment 485437
Weird nose dive with CMI mag. Tapping/hitting the spine that fixes an AR mag does little to nothing…
The M1A is here to stay with us for many more years to come. I LOVE the looks of it.

· Registered
26 Posts
I qualified with a M14 in boot at PI.
Got to my duty station (El Toro) and was issued another M14.
I volunteered to requalify every month which allowed me to shoot 3-4 times a year over 4yrs.
Never once did I miss "Expert". More often than not I had Expert in the bag after the 300yd line with a few times needing 1-2 hits from 500yds for Expert.
Found a New in the box M1A at a shop in Nevada a few years ago.
Is the M14 (M1A) still relevant...lol.... You can bet your backside it is.

· Registered
74 Posts
This is a question I pondered as well. Trained with the AR platform and others in the military. In the late 80's the army was still issuing m2 grease guns to the support vehicle crews. Still just a functioning piece of equipment. Same thing with the 1911's. Still viable and that design is 100 years old.

So in the end I decided to go the battle rifle of an m1a. Lots of parts, support and info available.

· Premium Member
68 Posts
I qualified with a M14 in boot at PI.
Got to my duty station (El Toro) and was issued another M14.
I volunteered to requalify every month which allowed me to shoot 3-4 times a year over 4yrs.
Never once did I miss "Expert". More often than not I had Expert in the bag after the 300yd line with a few times needing 1-2 hits from 500yds for Expert.
Found a New in the box M1A at a shop in Nevada a few years ago.
Is the M14 (M1A) still relevant...lol.... You can bet your backside it is.

My first duty station was “El Toro”. 1975. When I went to marksmanship training during basic we trained with M16a1 rifles. But there were platoons there training with M14’s.
I will keep using my M1a whether it becomes irrelevant or not.

· Registered
560 Posts
Well, it’s relevant to me, and that’s what counts. I never bought the concept of it being obsolete, irrelevant, or outdated.

It’s a great gun. It still does what it did for 60+ years. Just because a new “improved” gun comes along, that doesn’t make the M14 any less effective. Until they come up with a gun that aims and shoots itself, I’ll stick with my M14.

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,259 Posts
In the case of firearms, I think obsolete is kind of a misnomer. All firearms are designed to do exactly the same thing... put a bullet on target with (hopefully) acceptable accuracy, providing the operator does his part. The M14 is very good at this.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts