M14 Forum banner

is the m14 Doctor still around?

5598 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Gothmog
Want to get one of the bolt dissasembly tools and have a hard time getting thru to them. Are they still in business?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
358 Posts
If you can find the M1 Garand bolt disassembly tool for cheaper, the M1A/M14 bolt tool the same tool with the backstop block moved up half an inch (punch out a roll pin, move it, reinsert the roll pin).

You clearly don't want to flip back'n'forth if you have both M1s and M1As, but again, if you can get the "M1" tool for cheaper, you can "convert" it yourself.

If you wanted to get *really* creative, you can fab a half-inch insert. ;)

· Registered
480 Posts
While a bolt disassembly tool is practical. I just use a 30.06 case to disassemble?

Numrich gun parts have them, same with Brownell's
Here's the situation:

What would be better to do/learn/have handy,
- a 30-06 shell & learn the trick that BrokenVet suggest or
- buy a dis-assembly tool & hope it's available when you break an extractor or firing pin when in the field or SHTF.
- go with the first option & save the bucks for something else. How often will you be using it unless your a Gsmith.

Your call on what will work for you.

· Registered
235 Posts
I have one

I have one and would highly recommend buying a bolt tool from Brownells instead. Less expensive and much quicker to operate.
The Dr tool is complicated, time consuming, and requires additional tools to use...2 different size allen wrenches and one torx wrench.
I bought it since I m sort of a gadget guy and I liked the video and thought why not? Probably sell it if you want it....

· Registered
1,222 Posts
I looked and looked at all the tools and gadgets for bolt disassembly\reassembly and decided to save my $$$.

I hold my thumb over the end of the bolt\ejector and use a flatblade screwdriver to lift the extractor (very easy) then after you clean it up put your firing pin back in and either use your pinky finger or tape to hold it in place then put your extractor spring with ball in and then put the ejector and spring in and line up the slot of the ejector with the hole the the extractor goes in then use the corner of a bench vice to push in the ejector and then just snap the extractor in, i know it sounds hard but this task can be done very easily with no fancy tools.

· MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,047 Posts
If you think the M1/M14 bolt is difficult, try disassembling/assembling the M1 carbine bolt without the tool. Holy moly.

Once you've done the carbine bolt, even *with* the tool, you'll think the M14 bolt is a breeze to do by hand.
Getting that TINY extractor plunger lined up even using fine tweezers and an Opti Visor and it still is not easy even after I have done it hundreds of times.

· Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys
There has been a situation regarding the M14Doctor entity.
Thomas (which is me) has been operating as M14Doctor on various websites since early 2009. Since 2007 I have been manufacturing custom M14 stocks and building custom M14 rifles on Chicom, SAI, and LRB actions. I have also been a daily presence online as M14Doctor, offering advice and troubleshooting tips for the fast growing cult of M14 (chicom) owners on CGN.

Dave, who was the handshake associate of mine with whom I collaborated with on His bolt tool, owns the domain name M14Doctor. The first run of bolt tools bears the M14DOCTOR name on the side. Dave does not build the rifles nor does he have the background to do so. He is the bolt tool guy.

We are no longer collaborating together and are in dispute with the name M14Doctor. So we'll see where that goes.

Dave sells the bolt tool for those who want one. They do work very well and despite our personal issues over the name, I will still recommend folks to deal with Dave for ordering the tool.
He can be reached thru CGN as Gothmog or for the time being his website, [email protected]

I will be continuing on as Ingram Custom Rifleworks of British Columbia Canada, and will be working closely with Armtac and Mystic Precision to supply Canadians with top shelf rifle builds
Cheers brothers
Thomas Ingram
M14doctor[email protected]

· Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys
There has been a situation regarding the M14Doctor entity.
Thomas (which is me) has been operating as M14Doctor on various websites since early 2009. Since 2007 I have been manufacturing custom M14 stocks and building custom M14 rifles on Chicom, SAI, and LRB actions. I have also been a daily presence online as M14Doctor, offering advice and troubleshooting tips for the fast growing cult of M14 (chicom) owners on CGN.

Dave, who was the handshake associate of mine with whom I collaborated with on His bolt tool, owns the domain name M14Doctor. The first run of bolt tools bears the M14DOCTOR name on the side. Dave does not build the rifles nor does he have the background to do so. He is the bolt tool guy.

We are no longer collaborating together and are in dispute with the name M14Doctor. So we'll see where that goes.

Dave sells the bolt tool for those who want one. They do work very well and despite our personal issues over the name, I will still recommend folks to deal with Dave for ordering the tool.
He can be reached thru CGN as Gothmog or for the time being his website, [email protected]

I will be continuing on as Ingram Custom Rifleworks of British Columbia Canada, and will be working closely with Armtac and Mystic Precision to supply Canadians with top shelf rifle builds
Cheers brothers
Thomas Ingram
[email protected]

· Registered
3 Posts
Like Thomas said, I can provide the tool for those who would like one. Sorry for the confusion, we had hoped to make this a collaborative effort but sometimes things just don't work out ....

This series is almost sold out and I plan to bring a new run in to replace them. They will have a new brand name, although will be the same reliable unit as ever.

[email protected] will reach me and so will [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.