M14 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Coast Guard Boot Camp in 2004 we still marched with M1 Garands. I had the collateral duty at my first unit of Color Guard and was issued an M14 for ceremonial use.

I fell in love with both rifles from non-operational use. I think they will always have a place in people's hearts.

Reactions: weshowe

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a complete layman and non-expert in the field of service rifle history, my .02:

For all the reasons discussed in this thread the M14 has sunset as far as any major military's greenfield procurement program. That has been true, by and large, since 1968 when it was superseded by the M16. The M14's enduring presence and second life as a DMR has mainly been due to the US stockpile. Why go through the trouble and expense of starting a new procurement program for a semi-auto 7.62 when you have a pile of already-built M14s collecting dust? Now the US military finally went through with that procurement program and divested itself of its M14s except for particularly fringe cases where traditionally stocked weapons have aesthetic appeal. That said, we'll definitely be seeing the M14 pop up on battlefields, as it already has in Ukraine, and the inventories of smaller, more budget-constrained armies (I believe some M14s are appearing in service with the Iraqi Army, for example) for some time to come.

So, support, militarily, is drying up. Needed support will have to come from the aftermarket community now. Firms like LRB, Smith Enterprises, and Bula Forge turn out high quality parts that may keep the M-14 going in the long haul. We can only hope so.
This last part of what Wes said is the most interesting to me. Will US civilian interest be able to sustain a vibrant market for M14-pattern rifles? Missing from the list above is SAI which has probably done the most to promote and sustain M14-pattern rifles in the broader civilian market. My rifle is an SAI M1A that I bought in my early 20's, since upgraded with bits and baubles from the likes of Fulton and Treeline, but an SAI nonetheless. These rifles really compete with other battle rifles like the AR-10, SCAR, Garand, FAL, G3; and this whole space is already a niche because I would venture to guess most full-power rifles sold are bolt action and most semi-auto rifles are in intermediate cartridges. The M14 definitely has the nostalgia and classiness factors in its favor and will sell the timeless "wood and steel" models. I don't know if that will be enough on its own, to really thrive these rifles will need to also compete in price and quality with the other battle rifles. We'll need to see more innovations like the SAI Scout/Tanker/SOCOM lines (seem to be massively popular), the M21/M25 receivers that are optics ready, modern stock systems that allow accurizing and accessory mounting without breaking the bank, etc.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have been pleasantly surprised recently to see some more positive press for the M14. It seems like some people are trying it out for themselves instead of listening to the carbon-copy "it's not good because it's different from an AR" articles, and finding that they actually like it. Here is the most recent example I saw.

At the end, he touts that the platform is battle proven and one of the few 7.62mm rifles that he would trust his life to. He also mentions that a new generation got introduced to it during the War On Terror. This is where there may be hope for the platform to continue. It may be slim hope, but the platform isn't dead yet. That said, I am planning to procure some parts and accessories before they get rare and expensive.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have an M1A and AR-15 and love them both. I came in to the AF late in the game and issued GAU 5, but it served it's purpose. Ido have much respect for the Marines, and was stationed with some and never met patriots such as these. I arrived at my base in 1983 at the time the suicide bomber blew up 241 marines in Lebanon and it p****d me off. I didn't look at them as Marines, but as 241 brothers I never met. God bless all the brothers and sisters serving. I know this was off subject of obsolescence of M14's but I do know this, the retired patriots will never be obsolete, no matter what the DC talking heads say.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Look - the M14 is as pretty as she is deadly! This rifle will disembowel a pathetic human to 800 meters and then some. An axe is a blunt tool compared to the M14. 😁

·
Registered
150 Posts
I will answer this way:
I arrived at Marine Corps boot in November 1965. I was 19 Y/O 5ft 8in. in and a skinny 135-140 lbs. My arms ached within 3 days - carrying the M14 all day unless we were PT'ing. I somewhat hated it. But somehow in my mind I started to agree the talk from the DI's that this was some kind of sacred rifle I could throw it and put someone on the ground it was so massive and heavy.

Jumping in the training pool with full gear somehow messed with my ears. What a wonder?

When I arrived at the rifle range I had started an ear infection The little bitty rubber ear plugs were a real joke. And I ended up feeling each shot in my ear and shoulder. Those of you that still have M14/M1A know how that 7.62 round really had a heavy exit. I did not enjoy it much less
I was an Aviation MOS so I had to get a lot of training before rotating to 'Nam. I arrived there July '67 - Da Nang. We thought we would get M16's as they were "the big deal". We got M14's instead. The M16's were for the "grunts" (this is NOT a term of "dissing". We loved and respected the ground troops. They loved our pilots. Our Marine pilots were hard assed heroes.)
Couple of months in my number gets picked for guard duty (not a punishment}. My watch was over the oxygen plant in Da Nang airfield. Lots of lights all over -all night. I was loving that rifle .I was hating the lights. I carried 6 heavy clips and hoped hiding in the shadows would help - scared the crap out of the Sgt. of the guard several times. He did not see me. The third week on the guard tour we had another rocket attack- the oxygen plant still my position. I got into the little fox hole right after the sirens went off. First hit on my side was about 100 yds. -then fifty - then closer, Next one was about 20 yds. Obviously they were bracketing their shots. They wanted that plant out -which would put flight operations out. I was pretty sure the next one -the fifth one would either hit my hole or the plant.

I held on to that rifle - that M14 I had so hated carrying around - so awfully tight. I was GLAD I had the "kick ass" rifle of the day. All I needed to do is target - the round was a final power round. No fancy 3-shot spray and pray. Just get that one round in each target anywhere in the torso and they would be down.

That 5th rocket never got launched. I don't know why. Call it Heavenly oversite - I do.

I do know I would never given that rifle up, I did a second tour and they told me I could carry the M16 now. I said no - give me the M14.
Even Marine Recon came into the Air Wing Armory to swap out for M14s. THEY KNEW !!

If a rifle must perform more than target practice - such as saving your life against someone shooting at you?

I don't know of any other semi auto rifle that produces the massive power and superb 500+ meter accuracy of the M14/M1A.

I don't currently have an M1A like you lucky fellows (I had 6 kids they liked to eat and go to college.}. I have 2 AR15 from my Law Enforcement days. An M1A would be impractical in a patrol car.

But the week I win the Lotto I plan to buy that new electric Audi GT..... Dark Silver Please.

It WILL take the trip to pick up the M1A.
I bought 2 beautiful M1A rifles, gave one to my son, the other is here in my safe. I recon when I step out of this life, his son will get mine. Hopefully you will acquire one, and get that same good feeling again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No. Too soon to ask by 100 years. I assume it will be obsolete when rifles are obsolete. I think better 308 cartridges powders and projectiles will be the next big advancement to keep it strong. A machine either works or it doesn’t. When the short action cartridge dies it will go with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To me the M14 is as noble is the plow. She is not fancy..but she will plow. These newer aluminum 4th-cousins are nice - no doubt. They are eager to rid the M14 coz they last too long...lost of steel. The military is always looking to spend more money. Why would they keep something that never breaks?

And to train a proper rifleman today - they need to make sure he never gets a wrinkle on his BDUs..or break his manicure. He or she can move from one sex to another -paid for by the military. I am sure 3rd world enemies who still use punji sticks are laughing at us about now.

YOu also need a war to make use of all these new shiny things. There is not profits in peace time like an event of war.

I look at the M14 as the kid that is never asked to play in the game - for the very reason it will be a short game if he come on the field.
No truer words were ever spoken......

·
Registered
54 Posts
New rifle sure looks to have a lot of parts that can and will break? So much for KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
I have been thinking the same thing for quite a while now, new rifle seems to have a lot of parts and everybody knows military "parts" contracts always goes to lowest bidder....does this make the parts the "best" as far as quality? Who knows. Will these "parts" hold up like the old garand and '14 parts have? Who knows. But my old "obsolete" workhorses are still running strong with all those old parts that were made in the fifties and sixties. They have definitely proven their durability.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been reading more of how the US Army is on their way to removing the 5.56mm and 7.62 NATO rounds. Looks like they went Creedmoor on us. The 277 Sig Fury has impressive specs. But I am not so sold. The problem is the barrel life - those Creedmoor-looking cartridges are known for chewing barrels. If they want to defeat body armors, why not just use a more robust projectile instead of designing a whole new cartridge and new powder that chews barrels? Are the brass leadership thinking we will not be in battle long enough to chew up a barrel before the next change? I don't get it -

Please someone explain this to me?
It's all about the money. If they don't deem equipment outdated and obsolete thus being in need of replacing, contracts can't be awarded creating under table income for people of importance....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I only have one. But if I had two or more, I'd hook you up, Devil Dog! Thanks for your service, both times. Semper Fi!
Thanks for the thought!

I wanted you to know that this last evening/early morning my wife told me to go ahead and get the "M14" (M1A) I have wanted for the last 30 or more years. Our anniversary is today - 51 years....6 kids all successful adults... 11 grandchildren. I am pretty lucky. N0 - very lucky!!
I originally wanted the original wood stock. But I caught an offer on Gunbroker from Fuquay. It was the standard M1A with black stock - But it was a "First Line" Springfield offer at only $1299. I qualify as a Veteran. I bought it earlthis morning.
I'll have to forget about winning the lottery and buying the Audi- LOL.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well I have seen some very stupid things said about the M14 rifle over the years. People I normally have a very high degree of respect for have also said that, the M14 is obsolete and 308 AR's are more accurate.

It may be old and parts in much shorter supply these days, thanks largely to a bunch of morons in Congress (yea, i was there back in the 90's too), but what I know is this --

The M14 may not be modern or "up with the times" in the sense that it comes with pic rails and IS easy to put a scope/mount that will hold zero on (or a red dot for that matter), but that does not make it obsolete.

It may be heavy, klunky, and not a good choice for close quarters. But that does not make it obsolete.

I started down the road of trying to make my first M14 (M1-A) into a 308 AR with a Troy MCS chassis. But before I took the original GI Sept 1961 barrel off, which I seemed to hit the GI barrel lottery on with its accuracy even for not being perfectly clocked at 12:00 with the receiver, I came to a realization:

If you want a 308 AR, build a 308 AR. It is wrong to try to convert an M14 into an AR. Let the M14 be an M14. There is nothing wrong with an M14.

Reactions: KurtC

·
Registered
54 Posts
A lot of guns I enjoy are "obsolete" in the sense that they wouldn't be my first choice to carry into a warzone, the M14 included. But older guns often have a character that results in a more enjoyable experience for me than the newer AR15's and Glocks. I think people will be shooting the M14 and its derivatives for many years.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I love the M14, even if there are better designs out there. The AR10 platforms are better in all ways for full size cartridges. But, I happen to like wood on my guns and personally do not like pistol gripped rifles.
The M14 is a refinement of a design from the 1930's. For combat purposes the garand, the future M14, G3, and FAL FN were obsolete when the STG 43 and 44 were fielded by the germans in WWII. With advent of the armalite rifle in the AR-15 model, that and its derivatives has been over all the best design for combat. For me next to my pump shotgun that is the first thing I grab is an AR-15 in 6.5g.
EDIT ps I own a polytech gun.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts