M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,612 Posts
I have had some difficulty finding Tetra grease and lube. Not only that, their website has been down for at least two weeks, and their phone number doesn't work -- rapid busy signal. I sent an email, but no response.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

https://www.tetraguncare.com/
Hello RichFool,

Try here:

Regards,
D1

· Registered
5,840 Posts
lots of smaller businesses were killed by the scam-demic. Many others are struggling due to supply chain problems caused by the scam-demic.
I have some tetra grease somewhere around here I think. If I can find it, I will give it to you.

· Registered
450 Posts
Who cares? Any grease will do for these rifles. Just keep it lubed with something is all that is required.

That place may have gone under because more people realized that it was just another high priced gimmick product, that doesn't outperform any type of wheel bearing or other such grease as regard these rifles.
And five more miracle lubes come in to replace it!
Gre T

· Registered
254 Posts
lots of smaller businesses were killed by the scam-demic. Many others are struggling due to supply chain problems caused by the scam-demic.
I have some tetra grease somewhere around here I think. If I can find it, I will give it to you.
What most people don’t know is a plant in IL made like 75% of the different types of greases made in the U.S.

This was the summer of 2021. I kid you not…I spent about two weeks off and on buying anything I could find in white lithium grease. It’s one of the ingredients we use in making our own finish lapping compound. I finally found a 35# pail thru my local oil supplier we use at work. They helped me out but it took a few days to get. Got enough for a few years now.

The grease shortage of various types isn’t going to get better anytime soon.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to get rid of it, I'm glad to take it. Sending PM...

· Forum Jester
9,440 Posts

· Forum Jester
9,440 Posts
yup,issues

· Forum Jester
9,440 Posts

Contact Us
FTI, Inc. tetra marine
8 Vreeland Road
Florham Park, NJ 07932

Phone: 973.443.0004
Fax: 973.443.0263

[email protected]

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does that make my 2 tubes collectible now….
You never know!

But if they are going out of business, or even simply abandoning the firearms market, I'll need to switch to a new grease & oil combo. Tonyben has good recommendations, and I may go with XF-7. One of many things I have learned from his videos is that it is OK to wipe down the non-contact areas of the oprod with CLP. He said it wasn't important except for places close enough to an ocean that humidity is a rust threat.

Since the majority of the population lives near the Pacific, Atlantic, and Gulf coasts, it seems that most people should take a patch damped with CLP and wipe down their oprods.

· Registered
215 Posts
You never know!

But if they are going out of business, or even simply abandoning the firearms market, I'll need to switch to a new grease & oil combo. Tonyben has good recommendations, and I may go with XF-7. One of many things I have learned from his videos is that it is OK to wipe down the non-contact areas of the oprod with CLP. He said it wasn't important except for places close enough to an ocean that humidity is a rust threat.

Since the majority of the population lives near the Pacific, Atlantic, and Gulf coasts, it seems that most people should take a patch damped with CLP and wipe down their oprods.
Seriously?! You're going to switch to another high-priced gimmick grease because the previously high-priced gimmick grease company is no longer providing?!

Ooooh...XF-7, wow that sounds sooo space-age, it must be superior!!!! Listen...not to disparage you but, get real...just use a thicker viscosity grease during hot summer months such as the original brown PLASTILUBE in the little pots, and the thinner viscosity LUBRIPLATE 130A during the winter months.

You're over-thinking this to the extreme. Just use common sense. :)

· Super Moderator
12,479 Posts
Seriously?! You're going to switch to another high-priced gimmick grease because the previously high-priced gimmick grease company is no longer providing?!

Ooooh...XF-7, wow that sounds sooo space-age, it must be superior!!!! Listen...not to disparage you but, get real...just use a thicker viscosity grease during hot summer months such as the original brown PLASTILUBE in the little pots, and the thinner viscosity LUBRIPLATE 130A during the winter months.

You're over-thinking this to the extreme. Just use common sense. :)
Have you ever compared the two greases over a long period of time? Have you even handled XF-7?

· Registered
215 Posts
I don't need to compare XF-7 or Tetra grease, to what has proven to work over decades. Iv'e been in this game long enough to know what is necessary for adequate lubrication for these types of rifles to know the difference between a decades proven lubricant for the platform and a needlessly high-priced gimmick lubricant that is "the next best thing."

It's not rocket science, no matter how much people try to apply it. It's a basic steel on steel friction, that has much less heat generation than say, a wheel bearing, a vehicle motor, or transmission.

Trying to apply some mysterious benefit to these exotic high-priced lubricants over any good quality lubricant such as the two I mentioned, and many others, are in some way, going to give some added benefit to the rifle platform, is utterly ridiculous. And, I add..disingenuous.

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't need to compare XF-7 or Tetra grease, to what has proven to work over decades. Iv'e been in this game long enough to know what is necessary for adequate lubrication for these types of rifles to know the difference between a decades proven lubricant for the platform and a needlessly high-priced gimmick lubricant that is "the next best thing."

I don't need me none of that dolgarned newfangled grease! Why in tarnation does anyone need to spend that kind of money?

It's not rocket science, no matter how much people try to apply it. It's a basic steel on steel friction, that has much less heat generation than say, a wheel bearing, a vehicle motor, or transmission.

Trying to apply some mysterious benefit to these exotic high-priced lubricants over any good quality lubricant such as the two I mentioned, and many others, are in some way, going to give some added benefit to the rifle platform, is utterly ridiculous. And, I add..disingenuous.
I'm just going to assume you are ignorant about the definition of disingenuous. It necessarily implies dishonesty.

Y'know how you said I was "over-thinking this to the extreme?" I don't suppose you know what that means either, do you?

I am aware that there are overpriced products out there which are worth nothing, but that doesn't mean everything is snake oil. You can take the "good enough back then, good enough now" view if you want. They are your firearms, and they are good products. If you want to ignore over a half-century's worth of developments in chemistry, that is your prerogative because they are your firearms.

If you want to insult others for their choices, even someone such as tonyben, go ahead. Just don't get your Mickey Mouse feelings hurt when I tell you to get bent and pound sand.

· Registered
3,963 Posts
Tetra grease goes a long way ,all it takes is a thin film and excess wipped away .Most people I see are using way to much grease .
Looked like somebody packed a truck bearing with the rifle.
If you can see grease ,you have applied too much!
Should have just a thin sheen like a fresh oiled surface.
The Carburized surface is your lubricity .
Rifles should be cleaned and stored grease free ,thin film of oil.
Light lube as mentioned above the day of shooting .

1 - 20 of 46 Posts