M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a SAI Scout. I mounted a CASM Gen II mount after having no luck zeroing the SAI mount. I tought the SAI mount looked crooked, but figured it was just because I was new to this platform. Now that I put the CASM mount on, if I look down the mount it's way left of the front sight. Today at the range I ran out of adjustment and was still about 2-3 inches off to the right. the Rifle also will NOT shoot a tight group, at all. Some wont even register on paper.
Scope: Vortex Razor HD Gen II

Can a barrel be installed at an improper angle? Is there something else I'm missing. Do I just need to send this thing back to SAI?

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
I have a SAI Scout. I mounted a CASM mount after having no luck zeroing the SAI mount. I tought the SAI mount looked crooked, but figured it was just because I was new to this platform. Now that I put the CASM mount on, if I look down the mount it's way left of the front sight. Today at the range I ran out of adjustment and was still about 2-3 inches off to the right. the Rifle also will NOT shoot a tight group, at all. Some wont even register on paper.

Can a barrel be installed at an improper angle? Is there something else I'm missing. Do I just need to send this thing back to SAI?
1. Your front sight is movable, so make sure it is in the center if checking for straightness.

2. Are you talking about barrel mounts or receiver mounts?

3. What optic are you trying to zero?

·
Registered
869 Posts
How does the rifle shoot without a scope mounted. My guess is it has something to do with the receiver and the spec of the alignment cuts for the mount.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
His first mount was a SAI mount, on the side, and it seemed crooked.
Something I found during the course of designing my mounts is that the width of the groove or lug, measured at the front and rear, can seem the same, but a practically immeasurable difference in that dimension can cause the mount to seat at an angle. I set a Gen 3 in a demilled receiver, (no effect by the cut) and the front of the mount seated deeper than the rear by .015" in a length of 1.5". I miked the mount and groove, and no measurable difference front to rear. But because of the 60degree angle of the lug (and groove) a miniscule difference in width will cause a large difference in depth. In six inches that tolerance accounts for .06"; a nine in scope would be 0.09" out of alignment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a CASM on my scout build as well. The CASM indexes off of the rear sight ears which should be completely independent of whatever was affecting your SAI mount. That's not a good sign if both mounting systems are that much out of alignment. Something definitely isn't right. If you shoot using the backup sight in the CASM, are things still way off the paper? Were the regular iron sights off before you installed the CASM?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Call SAI customer service and see what they say. I agree with others here, how did the rifle shoot with iron sights at say, 50 and 100 yards?

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
The nice thing about a Sadlak mount is they can be tweaked to align them with the barrel if the receiver is a little non-concentric.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts