M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I shot 40 rounds from my RRA Varmit and OMG I liked to never get the barrel clean! As far as we know, what is the powder LC uses for that round? I definitely don't want to handload that stuff, what a mess.

This is a fairly new rifle and I was trying to get a standard to compare my handloads to but...

My cleaning procedure? Well...I wet patch x3 using Hoppe's #9. Wait and clean the bolt then go back and run wet patch alternating with dry patch. I usually don't brush...I haven't needed to. If I am concerned about copper build up I do using Sweet's and a slightly different cleaning procedure.

What is your experience with this ammo.?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I haven't had issues, but I use Butch's bore shine and a brush. Latest production M118LR uses RL-15.

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
All of the LC M118LR used RelodeR 15 powder. Unless you got your hands on some ammunition that was re-assembled from surplus components.

What do you mean by "dirty"?

Ray

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. Ray, by "dirty", I mean very sooty inside the receiver, much carbon fouling in the barrel. It took LOTS of patches. The BCG wasn't particulary carbon fouled...the tail of the bolt wasn't carbonized.

I use Frog Lube, so everything cleaned up OK...it just took forever.

I went out today and got a brush.

Also, I had previously fired some Winchester 7.62x51 out of this rifle and it was n't hardly dirty at all...like my AR-15's when I shoot 8208 XBR.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK...that's it! I'm done with this stuff. After cleaning, and cleaning, and cleaning yesterday, I went back out to day and shot another 20 rounds to see if this ammo. was really that dirty, and...yes it is. So I cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned today...over it.

So, I'm going to sell the remainder of the 1000 rounds.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Get a few more posts under your belt and put it up for sale in the px.

I've shot it several times and it is no more dirty than any other ammo I shoot. It is very accurate in my rifle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I find ALL of the REloader powder to be sooty and it's really bad compared to the Hodgdon powders. My Armalite does not like RL15 not even FGGM that was once loaded with it. My other rifles like it though but as you said it takes more cleaning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information. I really don't mind cleaning, but the last couple of days have been over the top. I was trying to use this ammo as a reference. I am developing a load for this rifle using LC brass, 175 Berger OTM's, IMR 4064, and WLR primers. Is FGMM ammo any better?

This is a RRA Varmit A4 w/ 26in barrel w/ 1:10 twist.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Doesn't take me any longer to clean after shooting M118LR than it does when I shoot FGMM, BH or my handloads.

gr8horses2003, send me a PM. I'd be interested in taking it off your hands, either as a purchase or I can trade for 175gn FGMM.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Thanks for the information. I really don't mind cleaning, but the last couple of days have been over the top. I was trying to use this ammo as a reference. I am developing a load for this rifle using LC brass, 175 Berger OTM's, IMR 4064, and WLR primers. Is FGMM ammo any better?

This is a RRA Varmit A4 w/ 26in barrel w/ 1:10 twist.
The M118LR load is 43 grains reloader 15 with a 175SMK in LC brass to a length of 2.815". Out of a 26" barrel it will be near 2700fps. Could be that yours is a defective batch, bad powder but I doubt it. Probably just overdoing it on your part.

42-43 grains of 4064 is what you're looking for btw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts