M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a man who's grown tired of all the bull to just take off and disppear in to the mountians out west?

I grow tired of all the politics, and other crap and I just dream of disappearing in to the moutains.

Is it still possible and if so where?

I'm not talking about running from the law, just society!

I am serious, this thought is on my mind daily anymore.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Check out the states with the least number of people per square mile, all of which are out west; Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming are good places to start looking. I'm sort of settled on moving to someplace in Montana but I like areas of Wyoming and Idaho also. The more rural and rugged the better, it scares away the sniveling losers that want to be taken care of by everybody else.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. In the early 70's I had a friend that moved to the Pacific Northwest to prepare for the end of the world. I ran into him a couple of year later, back in the suburbs and asked why he moved back. He said," I found out what I really need to survive is a job!"

It's all about balance.

When I want to run away from work, I start reading "Ocean Passages of the World" and dream about a long voyage in a 34 foot sailboat.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
It's all about balance.
What does 'balance' mean? How are you supposed to 'balance' the negative meanness of the average butt-head that seems to enjoy destroying others for no reason other than to be able to say they have 'power'; or the ******* that fired you because she wanted to prove that she could do it; or the daily stress of trying to keep from being killed by the jerk on the freeway that has to text and eat breakfast while driving to work in the morning?

It's about priorities. If you think you need a big pretty house the size of a castle and a sail boat then by all means do what it takes to get them; I, on the other hand, think that I need to get away from the average American jerk. Choosing to sail around on the ocean might help some people find 'balance' but the source of my stress is the average person that I come in contact with on a daily basis. My solution is to find a place where I can eliminate the stress by eliminating the source of the stress...people.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it was me I would try to find a remote property with no road; fly in or river boat in. Build yourself a nice cabin on a lake or river and go there and let all that stuff fall away when it gets to be to much. It works for me.

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
A word of advice: If you can't find peace of mind in Pennsylvania, you won't find it anywhere else either. It's not your geography that needs to change, Amigo.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I remember watching one of the old outdoors show when I was a kid. There was a guy who lived along the Salmon River in Idaho. He built flintlock rifles and just lived there in peace. Ever since I saw that all those years ago, I always wanted to live in the woods by myself.

I'm not asking to for your opinion about my asking or my mental reasoning for my question, I was simply asking if it were still possible to do this.

I really don't need my mental state analyzed, or my ability to find inner peace, I was just asking a question hoping I would get some answers, but thanks for the mental health evaluation!

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I remember it too. Think he was a retired college professor. He also did alittle copper mining for income. Everything in & out had to be carried on his back.
But now a days I don't think they will let you squat on federal land.

HH

·
Registered
9,816 Posts

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
I remember it too. Think he was a retired college professor. He also did alittle copper mining for income. Everything in & out had to be carried on his back.
But now a days I don't think they will let you squat on federal land.

HH
I think you mean squatters rights or adverse possession. I just looked it up and you are right,
From http://law.jrank.org/pages/4122/Adverse-Possession-Real-Property.html
Property held by the federal government, a state, or a MUNICIPAL CORPORATION cannot be taken by adverse possession.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/moneymatters/a/No-Free-Or-Cheap-Government-Land.htm
Under the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 (FLMPA), the federal government took over ownership of public lands and abolished all remaining traces of the often-amended Homestead Act of 1862.
It looks like Canada still has a homestead program but the rules depend on where the land is.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Definitely still possible with the right resources, ie. cash. Or with the willingness to move and settle for 'very few people' vs. 'no people'. Can even be done while still maintaining a regular job in a fairly developed environment, if you're willing to devote the effort to avoiding people.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for the support and info. I very much appreciate your info.

Dang, I didn't figure they (feds) would let me squat, but they gotta catch ya first.. haha!

But, on second thought that would kinda defeat the whole peace and tranquility aspect of doing it!

·
Guardian Of The Unknown
70 Posts
This is why I love this forum: discussions like this!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you stake a mining claim don't you have use of the land till you abandon the claim? If thats the case do a little placer mining to perform upkeep on the claim and then go fishing the rest of the time.GI6

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Epa?

If you stake a mining claim don't you have use of the land till you abandon the claim? If thats the case do a little placer mining to perform upkeep on the claim and then go fishing the rest of the time.GI6
I'd be surprized if EPA permitting wouldn't 86 this plan. At the least you might be passing a regulatory nightmare on to your heirs.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
And with any mining claim you have to leave a financial deposit incase their has to to an environmental cleanup.

HH

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Still possible but you will need to shut yourself off from EVERYTHING you have known. People, cellphones, computors, GPS.....everything and anything which could be used to track you 'cause if you don't, at some point somebody will!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still possible but you will need to shut yourself off from EVERYTHING you have known. People, cellphones, computors, GPS.....everything and anything which could be used to track you 'cause if you don't, at some point somebody will!
That's what I'm talking about!

·
Registered
558 Posts
No disrespect intended but I'm just smiling at the irony of asking a question about doing this on THE INTERNET.
Yeah, I have to agree. No disrespect intended either but if everything and everyone is just soooooo bad (and yes these are not great times for sure) then why ask about it online. Surely these kinds of questions you would have researched for yourself. What are you going to do when you need to ask whether a certain mushroom is safe to eat, because the question you are asking does not sound like its coming from someone, who can just pack up and leave humanity for good and be very successful at it....

Really no disrespect, but this sounds more like a plea asking for where are there some people I can hang out with who are not so bad. There's jerks and losers, and thieves and liars and criminals and scoundrels and everything else thinkable anywhere you decide you might go.

Are you really sure you want to just head off into the wild and be completely alone for the rest of your life? Is life really that bad, or do you just have a harder time dealing with it?

If you dont want to deal with people, then just dont deal with them as much. If you cant stand the news, turn off your TV, your radio. I got rid of my TV 6 years ago and haven't been happier. Have you even done that yet...?

This is not something you need to answer me, its something you need to answer for yourself...Its food for thought.....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts