M14 Forum banner

Is it Firewood now?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  eagle0199 
#1 ·
I originally had three of the oversize national match birch stocks, new, in the white. These are the stocks that are 2 1/2" wide right in front of the receiver, tapering to 2" at the ferrule. They are right at the max for HP NM competition. Were made by Reinhart Fajen in the late 80's/early 90's. In 1991 I used one to bed a rifle for HP competition and wound up painting it. This past year I finished the second one to have a good-looking alternative to my second rifle, which is currently in a fiberglass stock. The third stock I was considering selling, but when I pulled it out to take photos I noticed some horizontal splits in the buttstock area. Is the stock repairable, usable as-is (with finishing), or just firewood? I don't have any intention of finishing it myself or using it, just trying to figure out what to do with it.

#2 ·
Sir, I would think it's repairable. There is a gentleman that goes by the name of Candyman on this forum and the surplus rifle forum that is a whiz with stocks and would be able to give you a definitive opinion on how best to take care of it. HTH

#3 ·
I would gently pry open the crack and work some Gorilla Glue into it and then put a little clamping pressure on it. The crack is in a low stress area, compared to the receiver area or forearm.

#4 ·
My considered opinion is that it is dangerous to fire as it is, and that you should send it to me most rickey tick, for proper disposal... MCORPS1

That isn't really a load bearing area, and a bit o' glue injected into the cracks, clamped, and cured should make it good to go.

But you might still want to consider my offer for safe and prompt disposal of the thing GI2

#5 ·
You Got It!

B 2/75, I agree that it could probably be fixed, but I don't want to fool with it and as long as I hold on to it I might be tempted to try to fix it (taking time away from wife, kids, grandkids), or even to start building another rifle. I also wouldn't feel comfortable in the current legal environment selling something with flaws. Since you are the first that asked, and if you want it to dispose of properly, pm me your shipping address and I'll send it free. If it has some value for you down the line you could make a donation to the TFL forum.

Attached is a photo of what it could look like if you are successful. I love this Attachment feature of the forum.

Edit: (attachments didn't show up, and I tried to go back with the edit feature and add again, but still couldn't add them. Offer still stands)

Edit again: Photos are also in the thread http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=81661 (The Rifle Rack, Take Stock, Rare Stock)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.