M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand it, German DAG surplus is nickel plated rather then copper plated. Is the nickel plating harder then copper plating? Someone told me this DAG ammo was made to be more of a machine gun ammo and the nickel will wear out your barrel faster. It seems to generally cost less then other surplus ammo.

Am I totally wrong about this? because I'm all about cheap 7.62. It doesn't seem like people have any problems buying it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
It is cupro nickel. It is a mix of copper and nickel(75/25%),and not nickel plated. Coins are done the same way. I do not know what mix Dynamit Nobel uses or how much harder it is compared to regular copper jackets.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
A standard rifle barrel will eat this stuff just as well and as long as the more conventional appearing bullets.
This machine gun theory pops up once in a while and it's pure bunk. Imagine the logistics nightmare trying to keep 7.62 ball ammo seperated in storage, transit and battle so that "machine gun" ammo wouldn't be fired in a battle rifle. Nato spec M80 is pretty much Nato spec M80 except in this case, of course, for the basic jacket composition. I've got several K of it and wish I could afford more(if it last long enough.....maybe?).
Buy all of this ammo you can afford, good stuff!

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Dag

I agree.

Good stuff. I've fired a thousand through mine and would swear by it if I could just reload the brass. Berdian primed :(
Otherwise I would max out a credit card and have a Semi truck in my driveway with a forklift offloading .......

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Cupro Nickel is used more frequently in Europe than it is Here, there is nothing wrong with it at all, I prefer it over Steel Jackets!ICONWINK

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The only reason I won't use it, ( I have other choices available...) is because of the Cupro-Nickel jacket is harder to see if it is all cleaned out of the barrel,..as it is the same color as your barrels bore. The original Cupro-Nickel jackets needed a very harsh bore cleaner to remove the jackets residue from the bore, and was not all that great of a jacket material. Whether or not the current DAG ammo uses a "improved " ( easier to clean..)version of "Cupro-Nickel" I do not know. After e-mailing Lapua, I've decided to stick with "copper" jacketed bullets.
I'm not saying that DAG is bad ...just that it does require some extra attention. After all, none of the major US manufacters use it. I don't think you could "screw-up" a barrel with DAG any worse than you could with any of the other good surplus out there.

Even the Swiss used it in their 5.56 ammo for a while....only to switch back to traditional jacket material after a few years.http://www.cybershooters.org/swiss_ammunition_enterprise.htm....fourth paragraph at the top... and ....http://www.swissrifles.com/ammo/....clear down at the bottom..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts