M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent 2 hours searching and reading, and have only found one random post mentioning their bolt (there are a ton of posts related to their receivers).

My Polytech is NIB, but I figured I would pick up a spare bolt now so I have it when the head space opens up. People seem to like their receivers, but is anyone using one of their bolts?

·
Registered
862 Posts
their bolts CAN be soft and cause headspace to grow to unacceptable levels For this reason you need to have headspace checked to get a baseline reading and then check again later to see if it moves after shooting it a while. Also some of the rifles have been found to have uneaven lug engagement due to reciever geometry So have all this checked out by a smith that knows what to look for on M14s.
OR
you can do what I did and ship rifle to a very reputable M14 smith and have the bolt changed to a usgi bolt and have him fit the reciever to fit usgi bolt with proper headspace to shoot either 7.62 or 308. no worries after that.
I also had a 18.5" criterion bbl installed and a few other extras done at the same time.

Note: you don't want to file on the m14 bolt itself as the hardness on it is only a surface hardening for wear resistance. So You either fit the reciever to match the bolt or try different bolts till you get one that locks up right etc....
you can do a search and much has been written here on this subject.

the recievers are forged and great, the op rods, springs, and bbls are good to go. the gas cyl's and flash hider castle nut threads are metric and won't match usgi but they work fine. the rear sights are only ok to so/so in quality. Mine work ok but some have had sights that would not track in a repeatable fashion for longer range work. if you are going to shoot out past 300 with irons I'd change to a quality NM set.
The wood is ok but I changed mine to usgi fg stock and furniture. If you want to put a real Flash hider on it instead of the fake one you need to change a certain # of parts to US manuf to comply. check different's faq on this subject.

good luck! the polys make good shooters for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you missed the question, or I may not have been clear. I understand that the Polytech bolts can be soft, and that is why I want to make sure I have a replacement on hand.

My question is about the new forged bolts being sold by 762mmfirearms.com. Does anyone have experience with them?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I just took a quick look at the 762 web sit. It doesn't look like they are shipping yet, but the are taking orders. I've tried some of there parts, and they were OK. But I think you need more feed back.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think they were having some issues with the parkerizing process.. so very few (if any) have shipped. You could try the fulton one from brownells.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I paid for one within 24 hours or so of their website putting them up for sale. This was Sept 20-something. I have not yet received it. Today I sent an email to them asking for a rough estimation of when they think they'll be ready to ship. No word yet.

I have some new TRW bolts that I will compare it with when the 762 bolt does come in. I will share photos and measurements by updating my original thread when it's arrived and I have time to check it out.

Original thread:
http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=89825

1 - 7 of 7 Posts