M14 Forum banner

Is anyone going to the Anniston CMP store Dec 8 & 9 ?

739 20
I'm thinking of doing a road trip to the CMP Anniston store that's opening on Dec 8 & 9. I know it's been a few years since the last time it was open, is anyone going and is it worth it ?

Thanks
Reactions: Will t and M14SAGuy
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm thinking of doing a road trip to the CMP Anniston store that's opening on Dec 8 & 9. I know it's been a few years since the last time it was open, is anyone going and is it worth it ?

Thanks
Yes it is worth the trip. It is just off the Anniston exit off I 20 about 1.5 hours west of Atlanta and 45 minutes from Birmingham Al. Get there 30 minutes before they open and have your .308 barrel gauge handy. Garand collector’s club membership will get you access if not a Veteran.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think instead I'm going to Raliegh to peruse a new car.😁
The last new car I bought was in 1977, I buy 2-3 year old low mileage cars and let the original buyer lose the 50% of value. In 2008 I bought a BMW 750i for my wife, I loathe & despise BMW, the original buyer paid $112,700 19 months before and he sold me the car for $48,300 with 3 years under warranty. That POS cost BMW an engine replacement, new transmission, engine reseal, various computer modules, 2 engine pulls to replace parts and brake system all within 121,000 miles.

I'd much rather buy guns & ammo, than give my money to car companies.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The last new car I bought was in 1977, I buy 2-3 year old low mileage cars and let the original buyer lose the 50% of value. In 2008 I bought a BMW 750i for my wife, I loathe & despise BMW, the original buyer paid $112,700 19 months before and he sold me the car for $48,300 with 3 years under warranty. That POS cost BMW an engine replacement, new transmission, engine reseal, various computer modules, 2 engine pulls to replace parts and brake system all within 121,000 miles.

Yeah, I followed that logic for years. Thing is I was just hired for a new role heads and shoulders what I was doing before. Broke the top 10%. So...... I want to buy a new car for once in my life. ~30k is fairly reasonable.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very humbled by my fortunate circumstances. I was truly blessed this week.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My one trip to the South Store was almost exactly 3 years ago. I was in the opening group -- it was a total zoo and rifles were snapped up in minutes. They said they would be restocked but not until later in the day. I got something but settled for a rifle that wasn't in my list of wants, just because I made the trip. I need to get to the TMP for another shooting weekend, but not Dec 8-9.

·
Registered
52 Posts

You aare right. BMW's are cool cars to look at and drive, but after 50,000 miles, start putting money into it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only way I would buy a Garand from the CMP at this point is in person. I see they are only going to be stocking service grades and field grades during the opening. Having seen what was offered at TMP during the Talladega 600 last week, I would advise that when you think of a current service grade, you picture what a field grade was 5 years ago. Same with the field grade, picture a rack grade from back in the day. I'm not trying to deter anyone from going, but I was there for the rifle match and looking at rifles was just an added plus. If I had driven down just to look at rifles, it would have been a wasted trip. Not to be totally negative, there were a few nice ones, but they went quickly and they were priced accordingly. Quite a few "put togethers" on the racks. Most rifles had pitting on the receivers and most stocks were going to need some work. One service grade in particular I looked at, the receiver would move 1/4 forward/backward in the stock. Probably not a rifle to be taken to the firing line. Good luck if you are going. I hope you find a treasure that steals your heart.

·
Premium Member
LRB, SA NM, SA 4 line
54 Posts
I really regret not buying more M1s when I had the chance (and in particular keeping every one of them). I am in Marietta Ga, so usually what I would do is wait for PH68 (I think that was his handle) report on CMP forum on Thursday morning and then ride over if it sounded like they had stuff that caught my eye. I slowly whittled my collection down to nothing but post war and still have 1 WRA, 2 SA, 2 IH, 2 HR that are in incredible condition. At one time I had well over a dozen in flux in my collection from making about a trip a month. One of my last trips before they closed I picked up a beautiful Krag. It was a really awesome experience while it lasted.

·
Premium Member
LRB, SA NM, SA 4 line
54 Posts
Meant to say that I am considering going over next week for the event but like little oney commented, everything I have seen posted and commented seems that all that is left is few and far between for good ones, my guess is that I would just be disappointed in the trip.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for your input, it sounds like between the Black Friday crowds and quality of the available guns, it's not worth taking the trip. I wanted to buy 8 Garands, maybe I'll call them instead. Has anyone spoken to the people at Anniston when they ordered or did they just get what was sent to them ?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thanks for your input, it sounds like between the Black Friday crowds and quality of the available guns, it's not worth taking the trip. I wanted to buy 8 Garands, maybe I'll call them instead. Has anyone spoken to the people at Anniston when they ordered or did they just get what was sent to them ?

Thanks again for your help.
Anniston is the home of CMP and where all rifles in the stores and mail order come from, the Army.
I too, especially now, would only buy if I can see what I'm buying. I just picked up a Service Grade 6 million at the NS that needs a few parts to make correct, but appears to have been shot very little with the correct barrel readings of 0+ME & 1 TE.
I've not been a fan of what CMP has been putting out lately with pitted receivers and assembled M1's.
Since CMP is making a special effort to reopen the South Store just for this 2 day event I'm hoping that these might be something they have been setting aside and are of a much better condition/quality then we have been seeing recently and think "one rifle per day" may be an indicator too. CMP could have just sent these rifles to the NS and/or TMP and been done done with these. With the CMP running low or out of M1's this might be their last hurrah for rifles that we remember from the "good old days". Then again I could be wrong too....LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts