M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a very smooth M1A with USGI Parts, NM Sights, and with a very clean & Sharp (new) Barrel. on top it's stamped 1 BROWN
Springfield Armory sn# 00178xx
thanks!

FWIW: I've had literally hundreds of Garands through my hands, and quite a few M-14, M1A
s and the like: this one has the absolutely smoothest op-rod travel. With the spring out you can just slightly tilt it and it glides the bolt open or right back into battery.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
It's typical of the marking I put on barrels when I install them. Several years ago I added a Julian date after my name. I use 1/16" numbers and letters. The number 1 is actually the last number in the head space reading which would be 1.631". I don't know what the barrel is since it doesn't have any other markings. It was probably a barrel the original customer sent for me to install and may have been supplied by SARCO or Numrich. If you give me the full serial number I will look it up in my records and see if I can supply any additional information.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
After researching my records I found the rifle was rebarreled and shipped to a customer in Washington state in April of 2009. The unmarked barrel is from Citadel. I don't recall ever buying any Citadel M14 barrels, but I did buy several M1 Garand barrels from this company.

I started including the Julian date several years ago so I could better track my work. The marking includes a single number which is the last number of the head space (2 = 1.632") followed by my name (BROWN), followed by the Julian date (20094 = 2020 April 3). Trouble is I didn't note anywhere exactly when I made the change to include the date, but I think it was sometime in mid 2014.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the time taken and the answers given!
I paid a bit more for this rifle than I normally would have, but there was something about it that spoke to me. I test fired it for function, but not accuracy: It's on my short list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts