M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it difficult to use the irons with the cheek rest on the stock?

I'm wondering because I love the function/look of the JAE, but I plan on using my m1a primarily without a scope. I want the ability to add a scope down the road so I want the cheek rest there for when I do add the scope. SO, does anyone have experience using the irons with/without the cheek rest and it's ease/difficulty of use?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Some people can shoot with irons with the riser all the way down. Personally I can't, too uncomfortable. Two screws to remove it till they get the QD setup in production... I can live with that.

Get the cheek rest and remove it till you get a scope. Maybe by then they'll have the QD system out...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the 2 screw removal the same for the cheek rest with the thumb wheel? also how easy is it to adjust the cheek rest that doesn't have the wheel? (there is a $70 dollar difference between the 2! I know when your building a $3k plus rifle you probably shouldn't pick over $70, but I'm gonna try to cut back on things that don't directly affect accuracy....for now.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Same two screws.

The thumb wheel is nice for on the fly adjusting but once I set it I haven't moved it much. If JAE ever releases the QD cheek rest unit I'll use it to go from irons to rest since I'll need to bottom out the riser in the stock after removing the rest.

Flip side... if I had the spacer setup it would just be a matter of removing the rest and it's straight to iron sights. Hind sight, I'd have gone with the spacers myself. You can fine tune the height with the spacers by adding one spacer more than you need and tightening or loosening the screws to get it perfect. The spacers are a hard rubber so they flex and compress.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for sharing your experiences! GI6
saved me 70+ bucks, probably $130, as I will just get the cheek rest later if/when I decide to scope it.

put it on my tab!

·
Registered
33 Posts
thumb wheel

I have a thumb wheel on mine, when I use the irons I just spin the cheek piece all the way up and out. Lot easier than messing with the screws and don't have the square block to deal with. Not sure what the QD consist of but just spinning the check piece all the way out is a lot cheaper.

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
I have used the irons with the cheek rest screwed all the way down, but just leaving it off will save you money and you will still have a super secure JAE stock which will increase your accuracy.

The basic stock is $599 this month and they've got a "free $200 in accessories" deal as well so you could actually get the spacer adjustable cheekpiece (normally $129) FREE with another seventy bucks worth of add ons right now, and use it when you get a scope later.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Day @ The Range

Is it difficult to use the irons with the cheek rest on the stock?

I'm wondering because I love the function/look of the JAE, but I plan on using my m1a primarily without a scope. I want the ability to add a scope down the road so I want the cheek rest there for when I do add the scope. SO, does anyone have experience using the irons with/without the cheek rest and it's ease/difficulty of use?

Thanks
All M14/M1A rifles that I own have been shot with iron sights and without a cheek piece and a scope system. I have not own a JAE stock yet but it is on my "To Do list".GI2

Click here for My Concubine

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
I have two JAE G2's that I have no problem shooting irons with using the cheeckrisers all the way down. I even still have the rail on the M25 receiver mounted (no glass yet).

I guess my head is not very large though. People have complained about my setup without glass, but fine for me right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts