M14 Forum banner

Iowa rifle ranges?

2976 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  maxaks
I'm considering a job in East Iowa, but a search of area ranges show nearly all top out at 100yds, with a 2 hour drive to one that stretches all the way out to 200. Are there any rifle ranges beyond 200 yards in East Iowa?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,649 Posts
Iowa was a shotgun slug dear hunting state. Now you can use straight wall cartridges for dear hunting (.357 mag caliber and up), and I would expect longer ranges to open up in the future. Lots of Henry rifles were sold last year - 1st year of this new law.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whos gonna teach appleseed in az if you bail?
Our other Arizona Instructors of course, but there's always room - and need - for more help... interested?

Likely won't be an issue though, if there's no place I can shoot a rifle at ranges befitting a rifle, they can't pay me enough to live there - well, unless they pay me enough to buy the land to build my own damn range of course.

Reactions: 4570govt

· Registered
106 Posts
There is a range in eastern Iowa called SureShot Range located just south of Waterloo a little ways. I believe you can get 800yds. I know their website shows some videos of 600 but i believe ive read 800. You reserve the range all to yourself for i wanna say 35$ for a 4 hour block. no membership required. Information is on the sureshot website. Just google SureShot range Mt. Auburn, IA and it should come up

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a range in eastern Iowa called SureShot Range located just south of Waterloo a little ways. I believe you can get 800yds. I know their website shows some videos of 600 but i believe ive read 800. You reserve the range all to yourself for i wanna say 35$ for a 4 hour block. no membership required. Information is on the sureshot website. Just google SureShot range Mt. Auburn, IA and it should come up
Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for, albiet a might pricey compared to Arizona ranges ( one afternoons use costing half what I pay now for a whole year membership), but not totally out of reach, and still a whole lot cheaper than buying a bunch of land and piling my own berms.

Unfortunately, the aformentioned job (less than 35 minutes from this range btw) is gone now, but I'm good to go if another opens up!

· Registered
106 Posts
The best range I've been to in Iowa is High Lakes Shooting Range although not in eastern Iowa it is in Creston Iowa and they have the capability to get 880 (1/2 mile) no membership and it costs 5$ for the whole day. There's what it looks like at the PRS competition I did a few weekends ago. If your ever around southern Iowa.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.