M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Gentleman (and possibly some ladies).
First time posting here, been collecting m-14's, M1A1's and garand variants for a while, as well as plenty of pre-vietnam era firearms- 1900's-1950's-which are my specialty. However, I need some help... Im stumped on this particular rifle- I saw a couple of posts about my exact rifle here a while back, (mid 200's) but not too much information, and not a current value.

Ive put lots of hours in books and online trying to figure out the whats/where's of this m1A1, but they are so rare apparently not many people know about them, or have enough information to satiate my curiosity. USN2

So here's what I know:
m1a1- springfield manufacture, folding bm-59 stock.
Came from the factory with the folding stock. Box is included, but no other accessories.
serial number is in the 060000 range. The pictures can tell the rest.
If possible, if anyone has some back story on when these were made.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,750 Posts
Welcome on board dwickedman, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great weekend.

DI5

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Welcome from SE GA.

Very interesting and good looking rifle.
Are there any USGI parts or are they all SAI commercial?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Welcome from Florida and very nice rifle you have there.

Here is some info I can give you

Lee Emersons M14 rifle book states :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Springfield Armory, Inc. offered commercial M1A-A1 folding stocks in the 1980s and early 1990s. The company made three versions of the M1A-A1 folding stock. The first version was either a modified M14 or a modified M14E2 stock. These stocks were cut just behind the receiver well, where a Beretta BM59 Alpine metal butt stock was added. These BM59 butt stocks had butt plates with a rubber pad on the upper half of the butt plate and two braces for supporting the butt plate. The first version M1A-A1 stock often used a modified M14 stock and had a Beretta BM59 plastic pistol grip added to it, rather than starting out as a M14E2 stock. The plastic pistol grip had a storage space accessed by a metal cover on the bottom. The first version of the M1A-A1 stock may or may not have the selector cutout because it originated as a USGI stock. M1A serial number 0663XX, built in the fall of 1991, was assembled with a Beretta BM59 Alpine folding stock mated to a commercial walnut stock and Beretta BM 59 plastic pistol grip with the metal cover.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now there are some of these stocks without the selector cutout and some with only 1 bar on the folding stock or a filled in selector cutout and visa versa. Of the multiple versions of these yours is the most desirable. Being it is a USGI stock without selector filled and has both bars completing the triangle on the folding stock and lastly it is in the sweet spot serial range for this model. It was definitely assembled in the 80's.
The only thing that could raise its potential value would be a highly figured stock with marbling or flame. However yours is nice as is. Also how many USGI parts are on the rifle plays a great part as well.

Pricewise cannot say due to forum rules but even if we could its hard to put a price on something rare like that. Just like the Troy Rock Sopmod some people would pay $5000 for one and others wouldn't pay $1500, its hard to set a price on them. Due to the "value" being based on Rarity and collector value.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Yours is a commercial stock that was specifically made to fit on an M14 as well as the M1A. The USGI stocks that were used on some of these had the standard front sling swivel on the bottom of the forearm and a square notch for the bolt lock. This one has the raised wood boss for the side sling swivel and an oval notch for the bolt lock.

The entire rifle would need to be evaluated for parts content. Obviously, a 60K series rifle has the potential for high USGI parts content, but you don't know until you check the markings on the oprod, bolt and trigger housing.

·
Premium Member
5,211 Posts
Welcome to the forum - you have come to the right place.
While I can't help you with that particular question - there are plenty on here that can.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Welcome from SoCal. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Welcome from the So CA desert

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome from North Texas. That's an awesome stock you've got there!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts