M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents/Gals,

Got an old M1A in 1998 or so that is reported to be sub moa at 300. I have yet to scope it, so I came to this forum to read up.

Here's the skinny best I know it, comments/thoughts appreciated.

Rifle started as a Springfield ultra match. Modified by Quantico in 1996 by Sgt. Dan Franco. Bbl is blue moly 1/10 NM 6 land 6 groove cut to spec by Barnett (chambered and cut short). NM trigger tuned by Franco. Amhurst NM sights, NM062 front, 052 rear. 300rds total through rifle.

Gas cyl stainless. Gas cyl not Springfield...it is new and mig welded. Welded front band and front and rear sight.

McMillan stock, rifle bedded in Marine Tex.

That's about all I know re this rifle. I understand that the twist rate with 168gr at 2650 should give me some nice holes out to 600, but that's about it unless swap to a 1/12 and lighter bullets. Correct?

That all said, I'm leaning towards Nightforce scope 50mm max-maybe (probably?) less to keep the scope ht. down...but not sure on rings and mounts.

I hear McCann, ARMS or Sadlak are the WTG. Thoughts?

Goal: 600-800yd driver when all shook out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,116 Posts
Bullets and Barrels

Don't worry about shooting 168 grain bullets in a 1:12" twist. it will work out to 800 yards. The 168 will not shoot well in any twist at 1000 yards. You can shoot lighter bullets, 155 Palma, or heavier bullets, 175 SMK, out to 1000 yards in 1:10" or 1:12" twist. The 155 prefers the slower twist however.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I used the Sadlak AL Mount with Badger rings and mine is good to go! DI5

Settled for Leupold VX3 for scope but still lust after the Nightforce.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Your M1a and a little insight on builder

You got one best 2112's to work on your rifle. Danny has a fondness for the 14's and work on them for the USMC Rifle Team. Met him down at Pendleton through a friend. He put my AR together for service rifle. Right at the get go it shot under 1moa easily. I would not hesitate of having him work on anything from a 16,14 ,1911,Rem700 or Berretta 92. He is a good guy. Took to a Cowboy shoot down at Pala Indian Res he had a great shooting outside the box Marine Corp marksmanship. That rifle would be a keeper for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tech, Ted. Filed away for later use.

PFC Th., if you have Dan's contact info I would appreciate it PM or public. I bought it from a former Marine in PA, as he was switching to an AR. He sold it to me for a superb price ($1500) plus I gave him a single lug SA M1A receiver. Shot it from a sandbag on a 20F day and a 15mph breeze. I was shivering and still managed a half dollar at 100 with iron. It was love at first group.

Thanks for the keeper recommendation. All my firearms are keepers...esp. the M1A and my Bushmstr DCM A3. Like you all, many of my firearms have nine lives...from hunter to target to competition to home defense. No 2 are alike, and each with their own personality.

I can't tell ya how many lives my 870 has had...duck, goose, skunk, quail, pheasant, dove, turkey, deer, skeet and now pistol gripped, lasered and lit for home defense. Retired, but not expired. Benelli now bags the birds, H&R the bucks.

Basset will get my business for the mount. Nightforce for the scope and possibly unimount rings. Harris always goes up front.

This is a wide and deep forum...fills my lungs when I breathe it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts