M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, short story with a question at the end...

Went to the Eastman gun show this past weekend and had a guy behind the table offer me a straight trade on my m1a for a pre ban FN FAL... I don't know much of anything about the FAL but I do know they are liked by some. I didn't take the trade but I'm wondering if it would have been worth it? ...I'm not just ready to give up a gun I just bought and have wanted for years.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
82 Posts
You made the right choice in my opinion. I would not trade an M1A for a FAL, but I would add one to collection for the right price.

Also, think of it this way. If a guy behind a table at a gun show offered you a straight up trade for what you had, then he was getting the better end of the deal.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Really depends on what your M1A is.Preban?LRB? How much do you have into it? Are you able to tell if everything on a FAL is preban and FN specific? (not putting you down but seriously asking) People at gunshows will tell you one thing only to discover you got ripped off when you get home. I wouldn't give up my M1A for one unless I knew exactly what I was trading for.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Really depends on what your M1A is.Preban?
I have a question regarding the term "pre-ban" when it is applied to M1As; except for not being equipped with a bayonet lug, why is this of any significance?

I've asked this question before and even started a thread about it, but it was never entirely explained. There were theories offered, but no facts. Is there a state where pre-ban M1As are legal and post-ban M1As are not?

Is this really a thing or just a catch-phrase? What is the significance of the term and why should it have any influence on the value of an M1A like "all USGI" does?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
A real FN, FAL, Belgian, pre ban,semi auto sporter would be would be worth far more than most M1A/M14 clones. Most likely, if it was pre ban, it was a SAI SAR 48, made in Brazil, by Imbel for Springfield. They were licensed by FN to make FAL's. Real Belgian pre ban FN's are very,very scarce.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I have a question regarding the term "pre-ban" when it is applied to M1As; except for not being equipped with a bayonet lug, why is this of any significance?

I've asked this question before and even started a thread about it, but it was never entirely explained. There were theories offered, but no facts. Is there a state where pre-ban M1As are legal and post-ban M1As are not?

Is this really a thing or just a catch-phrase? What is the significance of the term and why should it have any influence on the value of an M1A like "all USGI" does?
Yes, in some States it matters for M1A's, pre AW ban production rifles are legal to own, post AW ban rifles are prohibited.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Depends on both the M1A and the FAL. If the FAL were a Steyr or Gunsouth import it is worth MORE than your M1A, even if it is a Springfield. If the FAL was built on a kit, then no way. Need more information.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Depends on both the M1A and the FAL. If the FAL were a Belgian made Steyr or Gunsouth import it is worth MORE than your M1A, even if it is a Springfield. If the FAL was built on a kit, then no way. If FAL is a Springfield Armory SAR-48 then it is about an even swap. Need more information.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I'm trying to learn something here, so please bear with me. In what states is it legal to own a pre-ban M1A, but not an M1A made during the ban?
Buelligan, I will have to look it up to find out, maybe some other members can help me out. I think that the other thing with pre ban guns is that you can have the pre ban features, flash hiders, bayonet lugs etc. Some states even after the Federal AWB expired, you had State laws to deal with and could not add pre ban features onto guns made during or after the Ban. I believe the States with thier own AWB laws that concern pre Federal AWB rifles are California and New Jersey, please, someone if I am wrong , correct me. I will try to look this stuff up when I get home from work.

Reactions: Buelligan

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Depends on both the M1A and the FAL. If the FAL were a Belgian made Steyr or Gunsouth import it is worth MORE than your M1A, even if it is a Springfield. If the FAL was built on a kit, then no way. If FAL is a Springfield Armory SAR-48 then it is about an even swap. Need more information.
Depends on both the M1A and the FAL. If the FAL were a Steyr or Gunsouth import it is worth MORE than your M1A, even if it is a Springfield. If the FAL was built on a kit, then no way. Need more information.

Not your average double post. They arent identical!

Does the OP have this guys contact info. Guy likely didnt have an fn fal but just said that in the same manner that you say you have a m14.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Buelligan - you are here in the free state of GA and there is not a restriction on the years or features of the semi-auto M14 platform rifles we can own.

I am happy to know that someone found something worthwhile at Eastman. That show is almost always a disappointment except for hanging with my Garand collector buddies.

I am with you in that I would like to own a FAL but have not done the research to make me confident in a purchase.

·
Registered
918 Posts
When you put your m1a in the usgi walnuts I sent you will be glad you didn't. Something about wood and steel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The FAL the guy had he claimed it was all pre ban and I wouldn't know if he was lying or not because I couldn't recognize types of FALs. My m1a is just a standard everyday SAI but I replaced the stock with an older one and I think that is why he wanted it; he probably assumed it was older than it was because I was asked by multiple people how much I was selling it for.

The fal he had was old, big fat model. Hell I should have taken a picture of it but I'm glad I didn't take the trade, I don't know anything about them and I assumed what was said here, usually people try to do a straight trade so they can trade up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Buelligan - you are here in the free state of GA and there is not a restriction on the years or features of the semi-auto M14 platform rifles we can own.

I am happy to know that someone found something worthwhile at Eastman. That show is almost always a disappointment except for hanging with my Garand collector buddies.

I am with you in that I would like to own a FAL but have not done the research to make me confident in a purchase.
Ya usually eastman is a waste of time and I like to go just to go but sadly I do not tryst those sellers. The show was in Macon but it was more of a disappointment than normal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.