M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill,

Here is a picture of my "T44" (commerical test copy by Armscorp from the 80's I think) with this interesting marking on the top of the receiver.

It reads:

"U.S. NAVY" on the top of the logo

"SHOOTING TEAM" on the bottom of the logo

Was this marking on the original T44 test rifle?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The original T44 was marked as follows: U.S. RIFLE CAL..30 T44

It was produced in caliber T65E3, which was the designation of the 7.62mm before adoption. The T44 was not the same as the M14 though. The T44 went through some changes to become the T44E4.

It was the T44E4 that was the predecessor. Springfield Armory's production was marked as follows:

RIFLE
CAL..30 T44E4

Mathewson Tool made earlier ones and their markings were different.

E4
CAL..30 T-44 MATHEWSON TOOL CO

Note the Mathewson Tool Company markings.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill!

I wonder why they put this logo on the receiver.....

Here is a picture of the rest of the receiver:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
NICE MARKING: As you probably already know the manufacture can assign any marking or serial number a customer wants (as long as it hasn't been used in the past). A fellow from Ohio had SA mark one of their auto receivers M15 and he made up a rifle from actually T44E5 parts he accumlated over the years. If I recall correctly the serial number is his name with a diget or two.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bill,

Yep, I figure anybody can get a custom # on their receiver if they wanted. This one was done back in the 80's when one of the venders wanted to setup a line of T44 commerical copies but it never got off the ground.

If nothing else, it's at least a Preban Armscorp "M14/T44" with all USGI parts and with that funny Garand style buttstock. It's unfired and brand new. The picture it looks greasy that's b/c I was in the middle of cleaning it w/ CLP so it looks wet. It's got 20 years of dust on it. Everything gauges new but they didn't repark the bottom of the receiver so it's left in the white.

Wish it was a real T44 or T44E5 :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts