M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Rifle is the very rare EM62 built by Juan Erquiaga. The EM62 was featured in the April 1963 issue of Gun World magazine. The EM62 was also just featured in the Spring 2021 issue of Garand Collectors Assoc. Journal in a article by Paul Mangelos. The EM 62 was also featured in a 'Forgotten Weapons" video. Rifle on Gun Broker has had the rear handguard and muzzle braked changed out. Original rear handguard was M1 wood. EM62 did not use BM 59 clip latch either. Some one got a super good deal.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
For what it is it seems like it sold cheap. For what it REALLY is it sold REALLY cheap!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m the person that bought the EM62 on Gunbroker the other day, I am also the author of the article about EM62s that was in the GCA Journal earlier this year. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to a great deal of information about these rifles, I wrote the article in hopes of starting conversations about these unusual conversions. The rifle that was on Gunbroker is different than other EM62s I’ve seen, it’s modified to use a M14 trigger group which necessitated moving the forward part of the magazine well rearward about 1/4 of an inch. I don’t know if this is someone’s doing more recently or if it’s a period modification. Here’s a picture of a typical EM62 (lighter colored wood) and the new one.

Product Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun

Here’s a picture from the side showing the difference, the execution of the one utilizing the M14 trigger group leaves a lot to be desired. The one with the hand guard is the typical EM62
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Gunbroker gun also has a significant issue, the receiver is a reweld and the workmanship on the modifications is far below that of my other EM62. The barrel appears to be original to this action (as installed by Erquiaga) as it’s numbered to this action and it had one feature missing off my first EM62, this barrel has grooves to accept a normal Garand hand guard which is a bonus since this came with a Picatinny rail hand guard that looks out of place.

Grey Automotive exterior Wood Bumper Gas

here you can see how the forward mag well was modified to move it rearward to utilize the m14 trigger group

Air gun Trigger Wood Gas Gun accessory

·
Registered
4 Posts
This conversion does not lock the magazine in place properly, I’m not sure if the gun would even feed, I don’t plan on shooting this one as I’m not a fan of welded receivers but I am curious about the various modified Garands.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gas

hers one final picture of the two guns, with a more appropriate wood handguard in place on the newer gun.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun accessory

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,315 Posts
An associate of mine had two of these rifle for sale. One with the detachable magazine and one that uses standard enblock clips. No one we have talked to knew what they were. We did research and found out a lot about Erquiaga and his exploits. A really interesting fellow. The rifles are rare and very well made. They are difficult to sell however. The rifle with the standard magazine is still available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts