M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No offense to you fellers in this particular area of a steel and wood site cause I am not into the black crap ....

Sorry guys ... it's a Vietnam body bag thing that I just can't get out of my head ...

But I saw this photo and thought I would post it here for you guys that like these things .....

There was a caption with it that said 'something' about why this was doing this but I can't remember what it was ....

I will try to see if I can locate it again ...

In the meantime maybe you can figure it out ...

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay ...

I managed to locate the photo location and here's what this guy had to say here:

"As your gas aluminum block begins to erode on your SBR, hot gasses begin to escape around the barrel"

True or Not ..... Don't look at me .... thats what "he" stated.

Six

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Probably a gas tube or FSB failure. Guy probably put a lot of FA rounds through it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Notice how far away his face is? I was taught 'nose to the charging handle,' but not on THAT thing!

·
Registered
558 Posts
If its a traditional "direct impingement" gun, its about to stop functioning.

It may be some sort of convoluted gas piston (or even impingement) system that bleeds some gas because of the super short barrel. The bolt, bolt carrier and carrier key (lugs too) would be taking alot of force with all that pressure coming back into the receiver with a barrel that short...

Either that or his barrel just separated or is in the process of exploding...

Im willing to bet, if its not some sort of failure, that the carrier key has been modified with an extension (replacing the tube) that mates up with the gas block. In which case, Im also willing to bet the PD Dept that just bought it, is now trying to figure out what to do in a night fight if they need it....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Okay ...

I managed to locate the photo location and here's what this guy had to say here:

"As your gas aluminum block begins to erode on your SBR, hot gasses begin to escape around the barrel"

True or Not ..... Don't look at me .... thats what "he" stated.

Six
Whats an SBR, the gun? Anyway, tubes can wear out at the junction of it and a gas block/front sight housing. The block or housing could wear away too, if you continue to shoot it.

Guess it "is" direct impingement! Glad I dont bet for real money... Cause I would have never figured someone with a barrel that short would even think something like this would last any useful length of time with direct impingement...

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
SBR-short barrelled rifle. My department has a few that short that have held up very well under FA fire. Can't believe that would be condsidered normal.......................

·
"Airman"
253 Posts
With a barrel that short comes a short gas system. Gases are tapped close to the chamber where the pressures are still very high. Complicating matters is the short distance from the gas port to the muzzle. That means the gas has to open the BCG very quickly and to do so, the gas port often needs to be enlarged.

If an aluminum gas block was used, it would suffer from gas cutting very rapidly from the high pressure gases. Yep, sounds like there would be flames jetting out under the handguards, just like in the photo. Not only possible, but inevitable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts