M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not posting this to debate the facts, just an informational post based on what I heard from the source.

I am on vacation this week in Maine and New Hampshire. I grew up in central NH and lived there for the first 37 of my 61 years. When I return to NH every year I visit all my old haunts and acquaintances . . several which are gun shops I have frequented since I was a wee lad. The proprietor of one of these shops is someone I have known for 45+ years. After exchanging the typical niceties etc the conversation turned to the state of the union and the state of our respective states. It was at this point that he informed me that he had just finished up a 4 1/2 day FFL Compliance Audit and it was a nightmare. This is where it got interesting . .

He asked me if NY had implemented the ammo purchase BC yet, I said no, that it may not happen. I asked him "Why"?. He responded that the feds informed him that when it does go into effect that he cannot sell ammo to anyone from NY State. He asked the Feds how would he know when? They responded that they would inform him with when and what the drill would be. He pressed them on this and they stated again that he will not be able to sell ammo to anyone from NY State .

After hearing this and pondering the ramifications, it does not look good . . appears that the Feds are overtly working alongside the States to implement these gun control laws . .

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The ATF always has helped states with interstate compliance of state firearms laws. Nothing new.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nothing new.
Nothing new? Feds 'helping states' , let's not bury the lead here.

A background check on ammunition - ammunition is a legal 'commodity' sold inter/intra state - now .gov 'working' with local retailers telling them how to enforce?

So playing this out - NH is not contiguous to NY - but a shop owner is going to need to know the place of residence for ammo sales?

Can we guess a nationwide background check for ammo - is this the 'ATF always has helped states with interstate compliance of state firearms laws'?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Until YOUR state mandates an ID check, don't ask, don't tell, just like with private sales of firearms.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Your FFL is behind the times. Most internet dealers suspended sales to NYS last January when the law took effect. Under the law only "registered dealers" may sell ammo which means that if he is not registered with the state that he can not ship ammo here. Given the immensity of created a "database" - it is highly unlikely that the state will have something in place anytime soon to do background checks. As to "private sales" - there is no such thing anymore. All ammo and firearms sales in the state must go thru a FFL now. USA2

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
We really need to push that to the tresmond law firm fighting this BS law. NY State laws don't apply to me when I am out of NY state. I am not a Serf.

LOB do you post over on nyfirearms.com?
This is totally unreasonable.
I could see imposing a limit. Like only selling 4 boxes per caliber or something.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The U.S. Constitution does have the "full faith and credit" clause contained in Article IV, Section 1, which states -
Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state...
However, the rest of the section gives the Congress wide latitude in recognizing those laws, and applying the Constitution -
And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.
There may be a court fight in this, if Congress has never signed on to help New York, or any other state, deny sales of ammunition to New York residents.

I guess the other questions would be -
  • Just how does a New Hampshire shop know if a purchaser is from out-of-state? Does New Hampshire have a state requirement to show I.D. for ammo purchases?
  • Can the ATF, in its administration, have the power to require an FFL to ask for I.D. for ammo purchases?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We really need to push that to the tresmond law firm fighting this BS law. NY State laws don't apply to me when I am out of NY state. I am not a Serf.

Yes, I posted this on the "Laws and Politics" Sub Forum . .

·
Registered
789 Posts

If you want to support a lawsuit - support the one that has the most realistic chance of winning - not the one the advertises for "co-defendants" in the media. The ongoing lawsuit by the NYSRPA - which is supported by the NRA as well as the NYS Sherriff's Assoc. and a number of state's attorney generals. Tresmond's so-called lawsuit will lose as a number of local lawsuit against NYS gun laws have lost in the past. The NRA on the other hand has won Heller and Chicago etc. and knows how to push lawsuits thru the federal court system. USA2

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
If you want to support a lawsuit - support the one that has the most realistic chance of winning - not the one the advertises for "co-defendants" in the media. The ongoing lawsuit by the NYSRPA - which is supported by the NRA as well as the NYS Sherriff's Assoc. and a number of state's attorney generals. Tresmond's so-called lawsuit will lose as a number of local lawsuit against NYS gun laws have lost in the past. The NRA on the other hand has won Heller and Chicago etc. and knows how to push lawsuits thru the federal court system. USA2
Precisely. I'm not a major NRA fanboy, but they have the experience and greased pockets to get stuff done.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
How about sales of components to NY residents? Have they gone that far yet? Is the sale of powder and primers regulated?

What would the next step be, ban sulfur, salt peter and charcol? These liberal pricks have no brains or boundaries, and they will be completely confused why the next civil war starts.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
FFLs in my state of CA say the same kind of things, what happens is the inspectors who go around auditing them put all sorts of ideas in their heads. Also the DOJ types will go to gun shows in other states and look for CA license plates. That is probably what he means, if you get caught at the border with something you aren't supposed to have then you are in trouble.

PS - those aren't 'the feds' telling him that stuff either

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.