M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wandering through a local pawn shop, I spotted a familiar M14 type silhouette in the rack that was new since my last visit. Upon examination I discover a heel marked Chinese rifle. Now, I've seen heel marked Polytec's but this one was marked:

U.S. Rifle M14S
Century Arms Ltd.
St. Albans, NY
C-06XX

Condition was fair but could use some TLC. Also had a USGI type flash hider with bayonet lug but not as cleanly made. The op rod was also exactly like USGI in the cut for the hook of the connector rod rather than the slant or square cut I normally associate with Chinese rifles. Price was $850.

Anyone else seen one like this? I'm hoping the Grand PooBah of all things M14 will come along....aka...Different. BGRIN1

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Centurey Arms is not Chinese. Unless you are stateing it was a Norinco or poly with these additional markings. In which case it was a reworked receiver build.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
From the canon,

"Century Arms International assembled a relatively small number of rifles using Federal Ordnance receivers and Chinese parts. This work was done at their facility in Montreal, Quebec, Canada in 1990 just before the imported parts ban of November 29, 1990. The rifles were brought into the United States with the military style features (twenty round magazine, bayonet lug, flash suppressor, and hinged butt plate) which was legal at the time and sold to the commercial market. These particular Federal Ordnance M14SA receivers have serial numbers with the letter C prefix followed by a hyphen then four digits, e.g., C-0116. The Federal Ordnance marking may be located on the outboard side of the right receiver leg. If so, it will be stamped: top line - Fed Ord Inc. bottom line - So El Monte. CA USA. The receiver heel for the serial number C-1301 was marked as follows: top line - U.S. RIFLE second line - 7.62MM M14S third line - CENTURY ARMS INC fourth line - ST. ALBANS. VT. fifth line - C-1301. Century Arms International ceased operations in Montreal around 1993."

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BLACKTAIL 8541,
Wasn't sure about the receiver but the rest of the rifle had the look of Chinese parts. Thanks.

Different,
Knew you would have the info. Going from memory on the heel markings, (not a good idea) I was mistaken. As you describe, it was:
U.S. Rifle
7.62MM M14S
Century Arms Inc.
St. Albans, Vt
C-06XX
Interesting that this is a Federal Ordinance Receiver. I tried to pull the metal out of the stock but it didn't want to budge without more force than I wanted to apply to it at the time. Might go back with headspace gages and take another look but I know that Fed. Ord. doesn't have the best reputation. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Interesting that this is a Federal Ordinance Receiver.
During my interview with Bob Brenner, we discussed the Federal Ordnance receivers made for Century Arms and the Chinese M14 parts kits they bought and used to build the late production Federal Ordnance M14SA rifles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts