M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an M14 at a gun show that had a reciever made by Rocky Mountain Arms. It was stamped on the left side and said it was made in Longmont, Colorado. Anyone ever hear about them? No marking whatsoever on the heel of the reciever. The vendor said the builder of the reciever did it on a CNC. And he made several. Just from the little bit I saw of the rifle, it was machined pretty well as far as appearances. And the builder has shot it several times. The vendor was asking $1500 for it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Google & bing search brought up Rocky Mountain Arms, M-Shorteen. Made from 1991-1994. 17" match crowned barrel, custom front sight ,muzzle brake, modified gas system. Could not find any pictures.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It appears the company morphed into Bearcoat finishes and is currently in the same location only doing a teflon finishing process on firearms. Their website refers to the Rocky Mountain Arms name but nothing currently related to the production of firearms. I imagine they could provide further info. Contact info is at Bearcoat.com.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I went back and the vendor allowed me to get some pictures. Roland Beaver is the man who built the rifle and the reciever. And yes, he also built the M-Shorteen. This reciever was taken off of one of those rifles. I wonder if he still builds recievers, and how much it would cost.

And the price is $1595. It had a Springfield barrel, the rest were USGI parts.

Rocky Mountain Arms, Inc. 303-678-8522
The vendor also said he does alot of work for Les Baer.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Very interesting find............need to know more.DI5

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Looks like a Poly receiver, but one that has been marked with a different name. Can you verify the manufacture of the Trigger Group, Op-Rod, Bolt, and Barrel.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I was going to say it looked like a ploy receiver to me also what and where is the serial number located at.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I used to live in the area and was quite familiar with Rocky Mountain Arms. I never knew they had any involvement with M14s, and certainly had no idea they ever made an M14 type receiver. Maybe as another poster suggested it is a Chinese receiver that they built up and stamped with their logo.

I knew them as the company that made one of the first AR15 pistols. It was called the Rocky Mountain Arms Patriot if I recall correctly.

In fact, here you go, I just found one of their Patriot AR pistols. They were making these back in the 80's:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=210966109

The fact that they go to the lengths to put their stamp on the magazine floorplate of the AR mag suggests they simply built the M14 rifle and put their stamp on the receiver.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I saw one once.

I looked one once, and it appeared to me that it was a shorten M1 Garand receiver, or better yet a back half of a Garand, and front half of a M14. The clip guide was off of a BM59. A lot of weld and fill was used on the receiver.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The serial number is located on the right side of the reciever below the heel ( vendor is covering it up with a zip tie). If I remember correctly, aren't Poly's stamped on the heel? There were absolutely no markings on the heel. I looked at it closely and all other parts besides barrel were USGI. The vendor would not let me take it apart. The bolt was an HRA. The sights were USGI, I don't remember the stamp on the windage dial. I will try and call them within the next few days and maybe talk to the builder. I know alot of you are skeptical, I am too. But I think it is too early to dismiss the idea that Roland built this reciever. I will call and maybe speak to him about it and find out.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Poly's can be found in both heel and side marked configurations.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
IF it's a modified Chinese receiver, it's likely a Century Arms imported Norinco receiver that has been altered to accept a USGI bolt. IF it's a Norinco receiver, it should have "lotto numbers" stamped on the left side of the receiver under the stock.

The rifle in the photographs above does not meet the description of the M Shorteen, i.e., 17 " barrel on a modified M1A receiver, custom muzzle brake, modified gas system, custom front sight, etc. The rifle in the photographs above appears to have been built as a standard / rack grade semi-auto M14.

Reference: Blue Book of Gun Values Twenty-Ninth Edition page 1465

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
I really have only one question, JMGlasgow, how come you didn't buy it?

-

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really have only one question, JMGlasgow, how come you didn't buy it?

-
I would have loved to buy it. I don't have the funds to spend that much. Donations anyone?GI2 As far as the M-Shorteen, I was told Roland buit it off of a reciever that was on an M-Shorteen.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got off the phone with Rocky Mountain Arms. The owner said the reciever is a Polytech that was imported as just a reciever in the white and no stampings. It has been re-heat treated and the rest of the rifle is ALL USGI parts.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
saw that same one at the tanner show

I saw that same gun at the tanner and was very curious about it origins. The guy selling it told me the builder only builds a few here and there and works out of loveland and puts out pretty good work, of course he'd say that. I passed on it being that I have never heard of that make and was a little concerned about the quality, and price was too high

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The owner said the reciever is a Polytech that was imported as just a reciever in the white and no stampings.
I've seen unmarked Norinco receivers but no unmarked Poly Technologies receivers. Either way, the receiver was manufactured at State Arsenal 356, Kunming, Yunnan, People's Republic of China.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts