M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine has this stock and has no clue on its origins...

It's built on an E2 stock with the forward handgrip hardware removed. Only history he has is it came from a family who bought lots of milsurp stuff in the NY area back in the day and had all sorts of stuff. He even got a Colt belt loader from the, that doesn't look like any of the ones in the book...it only matches the drawings on the patent drawings. It has a tray to hold the rounds instead of a "tower".

Anyway..here are the pics....

He thought it might be an early prototype but really has no idea...

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
It appears homemade to me, from the latching system and the hinge side, although not too shabby a job for one. I like the way the tubes bend though, and the buttstock curvature.

·
"Death From Above"
11,897 Posts
Does it look exactly like this one? I can't tell all inser is the folding mechanism.

If so there were only 98 made back in 78 outside of ft benning ga. Reese surplus also made folders but I can't tell whet you have looking at the pics. Any more available?
Here is anoter pic, I can take more detailed pics if needed

Ok so I just went down to the cave and dug out my stock, it's the same one

Its not a gi issue stock. It was made like I said by an amtu armored outside of ft benning ga. There were only 98 made. Most were sold to a dealer in pa approx 80 or so. The rest were sold by the armorer. All the details I found out about this stock can befound in Lee Emmersons book. At kne point I had all the details, they are available online at no cost you just have to find the PDF version of his book.
You have what I would consider a pretty rare stock there. Not sure what he paid for it but you should try and complete it if you can find a front E2 grip. Does it have the latching mechanisim on the right side of the stock? It's a nice piece of history. I found mine in Canada Nova Scotia to be exact.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
It's different Warren, the lower tube diameter, the sweep angle is off, the welds are intermitant, the latch is not as beefy as yours. The weight would be interesting to know though, such as is it made from heavy guage steel or lite-weight tubing?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it's not exactly like your but similar..possibly a copy of it? The tubing (to me) is lite weight..very sturdy but didn't feel like a hunk of angle iron if you know what I mean. Sorry...only pics I have for now all i had was my cell phone...I can get more next time I visit....

What was the purpose of the 98 stocks you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The latch on 82'nds looks to be held on by some button head screws, the other one is welded. 82'nds might be an earlier version that was later simplified by welding.

·
"Death From Above"
11,897 Posts
Not sure the significance of the 98 that were made maybe he ran out of parts. In 78 I was in 8th grade wondering why girls were changing and why I all of a sudden didn't hate them anymore lol. Anyway I'll take a few more detailed pics when I get home and find the page in lee's book. It's the same maker for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting folding stock.

To clarify the origin of these stocks, they were made in Amityville NY. The metal fabrication was done by Larry Bonanno, the vinyl dip coating by a gunsmith named Ron Tortorella(He and myself,Patrick Lozito, were both licensed gunsmiths in NYC at Alpine Arms)and final assembly by Ron. They were sold by Tom Buss, 635 Marion Ave, Springfield, PA 15144 for $98.00. I still have one.
I have a copy of the Shotgun news ad on a pdf that won't download to this forum. I can email it to anyone interested on request.
P.S. The stocks were parkerized by Ron before the vinyl dip(liquid vinyl). I believe all the stock were originally vinyl coated but some may have not and/or the original coating wore off in spots and this one was re-parkerized.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.