·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reactions: Dougboffl

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I disagree with his warnings about J-B Bore Paste being an aggressive abrasive. It is really a pretty mild abrasive, although I do agree that you don't want to leave any residue behind. I have also found Kroil to be pretty effective for removing light carbon. It won't touch baked-on carbon but then, not much will. I still frequently use a 50/50 mix of Kroil and Shooter's Choice for routine cleaning. I was never very impressed by Butch's Bore Shine, personally, so a lot of what he recommends is just his personal preference. I'm old enough to remember the smell and effectiveness of 'real' Hoppe's #9, FWIW. GI2

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
First he says you have to have a bore guide or the rod will touch the barrel and wear it.

Then he says every time he pulls the rod out of the barrel he wipes off the solvent and crud that got on it. If it's not touching the lands??? Where did the solvent and crud come from?

I've also read that the brush should only go through the barrel in one direction, or it will weaken the bristles (bending them first one way and then the other) and ruin the effectiveness of the brush. I don't know that is true, but it would be bending the bristles back and forth.

Darn, had to quit reading it, got up early this morning, went to the range to shoot my "new" Pre B CZ 85 and fell asleep, twice. Maybe I can finish it another time.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
First he says you have to have a bore guide or the rod will touch the barrel and wear it.

Then he says every time he pulls the rod out of the barrel he wipes off the solvent and crud that got on it. If it's not touching the lands??? Where did the solvent and crud come from?

I've also read that the brush should only go through the barrel in one direction, or it will weaken the bristles (bending them first one way and then the other) and ruin the effectiveness of the brush. I don't know that is true, but it would be bending the bristles back and forth.

Darn, had to quit reading it, got up early this morning, went to the range to shoot my "new" Pre B CZ 85 and fell asleep, twice. Maybe I can finish it another time.
Big Army has recommended pulling the cleaning rod and bore brush through the bore for several years now. It's time-consuming to run the rod (less brush) through the bore, thread the brush on, pull the brush through the bore, remove the brush, and repeat until you're ready for patches, but that's the approved method. Seems like everyone you speak to has their own method.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
JB Bore compound is not harmful to the bore IF one would read the directions and follow them as prescribed(I know, it's no fun reading directions) for proper use will lead to a very clean burnished bore. Not to be used every time you go to the range/match, but after a number of rounds(suggests number on the container.) Feel that many go to excess in the cleaning department. If you have shot a lot in serious matches it is well known that you do not arrive to shoot in a match with a super clean bore and might add that the barrel needs to have had quite a few rounds through it as well, new super clean barrel does not always behave as you would like them to do. I am not a fan of brushes and find that a good solvent with occasional use of JB will keep the bore in fine condition.
Two ways to clean bores, one is chemical(solvents) and other is mechanical(brushes) and using the chemical approach one needs to let the solvent remain in the bore in order for it to do it's job, doesn't happen in 5 minutes or so. Using just common Hoppes No.9 put couple wet patches through the bore, let it sit for some 15-20+ minutes and then dry patch it, it will either be very dark/black and possibly blue(copper residue.) Continual use of patches and solvents until the patch shows no coloration is not necessary. More good barrels/bores are ruined by over cleaning than ever the actual act of shooting them.
YMMV

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Big Army has recommended pulling the cleaning rod and bore brush through the bore for several years now. It's time-consuming to run the rod (less brush) through the bore, thread the brush on, pull the brush through the bore, remove the brush, and repeat until you're ready for patches, but that's the approved method. Seems like everyone you speak to has their own method.
Big Army has been instructing it this way since the 1903 was in general issue. The only weapons were it is acceptable to push the brush/patch in from the muzzle were the M1 Carbine and various sub-machine guns.

There are 2 reasons for this:

1. You pull the crap out of the muzzle, not push it into the breech.

2. Any abrasion caused by cleaning is in the same direction as that caused by the bullet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.