M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put the last coat of tung oil on my new fajen stock last night and
am ready to install my new metal(compliments of hawk).is there
anything i need to be aware of with the action and trigger group??
i set the barrel/receiver in before i started finishing and it seemed to fit nice,sat flat and tight around the rear of the recv'r.i didnt have the liner in at the time so i dont know how the trigger group will latch up.if it latches nice and snug/tight,are there other concerns i should be aware of ?? maybe this new stock will help me in the postal shoot....thx guys....glock

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Glockshot:

I do not have a Fajen, but might offer this as food for thought...

Check along the barrel channel to make sure that the op rod guide does not make contact with the stock, and ensure that the gas cylinder shank does not contact the stock as well.

With the stock liner in place, there should be a noticable amount of pressure to lock the trigger guard. This keeps the rifle from up and down movement.

With the trigger assembly in place and locked, try to see if there is any side to side movement (there should be no movement or place in the receiver area).

The front band tab should contact the front ferrule solidly and at that point you may want to put a tad of grease between the two touching metals.

The handguard should NOT contact the stock, there should be a small amount of clearance between the two.

These were some of the things I look at when I am evaluating or looking at a new stock... Sounds like you got a good one already! Don't forget to take some pics and show off your rifle when you get it all done!

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i ended up putting 6 coats on.i thinned it with a little mineral spirits and went over it with 0000 steel wool between the 1st 4 coats.i just buffed it between the last 2.it looks great,nice finish
without a lot of shine.i used waterlox pure tung oil.i had it left over
from my hardwood job last winter...i used the stain from chestnut ridge for that nice brown with a hint of red cast.
thanks for the info,i'll report back on my results..if my son will show me how to post pictures..i will let ya all see it...glock

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stock update

well,i got all the metal on.looks good so far..when i tried to seat the recvr,the lugs were just catching the front inside of the liner.so i pulled out my duffs m14 book and it showed cutting off about 1/8" so the recv fit
without binding as a match alteration.so i did this and it fits fine,the lugs being about 1/16" away from the liner.next,i dropped the trigger group in,
it seated ok,but it will not even attempt to latch.you can feel and hear the
cams hitting.the guard goes to about 1 o'clock.i compared the fit on both stocks and on the old one,i can see the trigger group is bottomed out where it slides down into the recvr by the mag well.the new stock,i can see
that it is 1/16-1/8 " from bottoming out.based on the above,do i need to
relieve the the area of the stock to the rear of the trigger ?is there any other area the may be holding the group up ?the recv sits nice and flat on the top of the stock.i'm not sure i want to start carving the stock myself..
any suggestions would be appreciated....thx.....glock

·
Banned
611 Posts
If I understand you right you should be able to put your thumbs on either side of the trigger group and push hard and seat it. Then try to latch it. I grease the camming areas of the trigger group too where they grab the receiver legs. It helps. My bedded stocks are really tight too getting the trigger in. I have to push really hard on them.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx dan,i'll give that a try tomorrow when i tackle it again..i was a bit frustrated and decided to get some advice from the experts.i dont want to screw it up playing gunsmith...

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
After fitting, you'll need to check that the hammer doesn't follow the bolt home. If the trigger group is at a different angle with the back end lower, it's possible that the hammer won't catch the semi-auto sear. this would cause doubling.

Hold the trigger to the rear and cycle the action--make sure the hammer does not go forward with the bolt. Repeat a couple of times.

Ty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.