M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a CMP M14 kit on a Fulton Armory barreled receiver. I'm having trouble installing the cartridge clip guide. I haved filed the dovetail on the clip guide but only can get it go half way into the receiver with heavy finger pressure. It will take heavy taps to go the rest of the way. Question is -- is this normal or should it go all the way with heavy finger pressure. I do not want to ruin a new receiver. TIATXS

·
Registered
999 Posts
i'm putting together a cmp m14 kit on a fulton armory barreled receiver. I'm having trouble installing the cartridge clip guide. I haved filed the dovetail on the clip guide but only can get it go half way into the receiver with heavy finger pressure. It will take heavy taps to go the rest of the way. Question is -- is this normal or should it go all the way with heavy finger pressure. I do not want to ruin a new receiver. Tiatxs
normal, yes, perfection would be to only gently tap it into position. File bottom of c/g to fit, not the angles. Use a felt marker on the mating surfaces, dry, then reinsert, remove, file places where ink was removed in insertion. Repeat process till fitted.

·
"Death From Above"
11,935 Posts
Socom42 did you mention in the past something about a jig for the receiver in the case of removing the guide? I cant remember if it was you or not. If so anychance you can enlighten us? I may have you mistaken you for someone else.

·
Registered
999 Posts
socom42 did you mention in the past something about a jig for the receiver in the case of removing the guide? I cant remember if it was you or not. If so anychance you can enlighten us? I may have you mistaken you for someone else.
yes, but it was a milling machine vise, a kurt anglelock. I use it on the mill to hold entire sides of rcvr.

·
Registered
999 Posts
did the marker trick. It is rubbing hard on the angles, not on the bottom. Does this mean i need to file the angles?
when you have it inserted, can you see light under the right and left of c/g? If no then yes, just where the marker came off. Repeat cycle till in.

·
Registered
999 Posts
yes, i can see daylight under c/g.
under the bottom ? About 1/3 of absolute botton in center will show light from roughing mill cleaning slot. I am refering to the two shelfs where the c/g meets the highest part of rcvr. THE TWO FLATS ON EITHER SIDE OF SLOT.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The clip guide comes out the LEFT side of the receiver, and goes back in from the left. It's a tight fit,it takes more than just a tap to get it in. Do a search here for clip guide removal,there is a real good PDF file that can be down loaded. You shouldn't have to file anything, put some cleaning patchs on the left side of the clip guide(to keep from scratching it) then a small block of wood and hit the wood with a hammer. You shouldn't have to hit it to hard,but it's more than a light tap.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
When we refer to left and right side of rifle/receiver we mean as holding rifle in normal operating position and looking down the barrel; right? Errr I mean correct?
I guess you got you're c/g in without breaking the receiver?

BTW for me, personally, dovetails are the most difficult "fits" to achieve. The sizes change at an increasing ratio. So not only do you have trigonometry and geometry involved, but Calculus. I avoid dovetails and t-slots like the plauge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.