M14 Forum banner

Insalling Delta P Design adapter to Socom???

6732 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  ikerx7
I want to install this kit to use with my YHM Ti Suppressor. How do i get the factory muzzle break and sight off? I removed the gas plug and I see the little allen screw to remove to sight and thats all I know RNGR2
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
Have to remove the gas lock that is incorporated into the muzzle break. It rotates to the left from the front of the rifle. Usually use a gas lock wrench to secure the action while taking off the gas lock, if the gas lock/muzzle break is tight the same wrench can be used to turn off the gas lock.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it off, just needed a little elbow grease. It looks like its attached to the barrel. I use a wrench with some tape to twist off the whole piece. Cleaned off the OG threads and installed the new Delta P design Adapter. Hardest part was getting the front site off an installed onto the Adapter. Thanks fellas. I'll get some videos of my Titanium 7.62 can after my dealer gets back front Shot Show.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
I want to install this kit to use with my YHM Ti Suppressor. How do i get the factory muzzle break and sight off? I removed the gas plug and I see the little allen screw to remove to sight and thats all I know RNGR2[/QUOT

You may not need the Delta unit...SEI has a gas lock conversion for the Socom proprietary thread to 5/8 x 24. When I purchased mine it was only in a kit that included the Vortex brake and the SEI brake. I ended up getting it from Nokick.com who sold them separately. The gas lock from Nokick is a lot less cost than the Delta...and if you already have brakes with 5/8 x 24...

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I researched suppressing a socom 16 for weeks and all that and came up with was the DPD adapter. I think the Nokick muzzle adapter is 2 short and my QD mount won't seat all the way down on the shoulder and it hits the gas lock. If you look at the DPD adapter its longer and just barely clears the gas lock by fractions of an inch. My QD mount isn't the same diameter all the way down, once it gets to the ratcheting mechanism it gets .5" larger at the base.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
I researched suppressing a socom 16 for weeks and all that and came up with was the DPD adapter. I think the Nokick muzzle adapter is 2 short and my QD mount won't seat all the way down on the shoulder and it hits the gas lock. If you look at the DPD adapter its longer and just barely clears the gas lock by fractions of an inch. My QD mount isn't the same diameter all the way down, once it gets to the ratcheting mechanism it gets .5" larger at the base.
I'm not familiar with the DPD adapter. The Nokick device replaces the Socom brake with 5/8 x 24 threads which accept a Smith or Surefire which which I believe accept suppressors. There may be others.

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
I just got off the phone with Byron, the owner of Delta P. I sent him a link to this thread and I believe he is going to try and find the time to post the differences and or advantages of his design over the SEI design. Every time he explains it to me I get lost in translation. You made the right choice.

· Registered
93 Posts
I want to install this kit to use with my YHM Ti Suppressor. How do i get the factory muzzle break and sight off? I removed the gas plug and I see the little allen screw to remove to sight and thats all I know RNGR2
I PM'ed you my number. Feel free to contact me and I can walk you through any questions. One thing to remember, it is important to clean any carbon build up off of the face on the end of the barrel. You want to seat down on the flat shoulder and not any carbon build up!

· Registered
93 Posts
I'm not familiar with the DPD adapter. The Nokick device replaces the Socom brake with 5/8 x 24 threads which accept a Smith or Surefire which which I believe accept suppressors. There may be others.
The main difference the Delta P Design offers from several of the other adapters available is that the thread adapter registers (shoulders) and derives its alignment to barrel bore from the barrel vs. the gas cylinder housing. The Delta P Design unit offers a separate gas lock front sight, so the adapter does not have to be loosened every time the rifle is maintained, etc. The comparison is kind of like comparing apples to oranges, the two system are different in the way they work.

I would encourage using the adapter your suppressor manufacturer recommends. It is entirely appropriate to ask them which of several mounting systems you are considering for the SOCOM 16 is most appropriate for your particular application.

Hope that helps. There is some detailed information on the Delta P Design blog regading how the Delta P Design 5/8-24 adapter works.

http://www.deltapdesign.com/_blog/Official_Suppressor_Blog/post/A_drop_in_58-24_accessory_mounting_solution_for_the_SOCOM_MODEL_M1A/

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try to get pictures to show the different lengthes. But I'm almost positive A suppressor won't seat all the way on the shoulder because of the gas lock. My Can is 1.625" Dia, I beleive and it just won't have enough clearance.

BTW thanks for the call Byron, I never experienced customer service at that level a+ sir. I'll get those suppressor videos at the end of the month and that adjustable gas block you were telling me about.

· Registered
103 Posts
Interesting. I am having an issue with carbon blow by at the propitiatory muzzle brake/gas lock that SAI uses. The problem I have is the integral brake has carbon buildup at the mating face of where it contacts the barrel. I think with this Delta P adapter I could eliminate that blow by.

· Registered
31 Posts
I'll try to get pictures to show the different lengthes. But I'm almost positive A suppressor won't seat all the way on the shoulder because of the gas lock. My Can is 1.625" Dia, I beleive and it just won't have enough clearance.

BTW thanks for the call Byron, I never experienced customer service at that level a+ sir. I'll get those suppressor videos at the end of the month and that adjustable gas block you were telling me about.
I agree! Byron Really helped me, I called him and he shipped the last unit out that same day! A+ on the service for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.