M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember now, this is only in the thinking stages so we need some input.

We are thinking about possibly creating a "Simple" Auction section.

The thinking is this.....

A "simple" auction would mean that all bids are out in the opening and the highest bid wins at the time of the end of the auction.

Most auctions have a "Buy It Now" (BIN) so we could do that also, but the question concerning this is should the BIN, once entered, end the auction automatically if a bid has already been made, or should the bid once made, do away with the BIN?

Also since there is no way to do "reserve" auctions without purchasing software and an extra database, we are not entertaining that idea.

There will be no per listing fees associated with the auctions, but a 2% (minimum $1) of the winning bid fee will need to be sent in for forum maintainance. This will be on the honor system and anyone that doesn't send it it, will be barred from the entire selling area until such time payment has been made.

Note: our policy of not allowing links or posting of auctions that are on other sites would apply to this also.

Comments?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I think this is a good idea!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also think that its a great idea.

Everett

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm game for a "simple" auction style.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I like the idea. I assume that the seller would have the option of setting a minimum bid. As for BIN, I like the rule that the option goes away after the first bid but wouldn't be opposed to the other way should that be the decision. I also have no problems with not supporting "reserve" auctions.

With all the stuff we frequently sell to each other, I had much rather hold those auctions here than at another site that contributes nothing to my hobby and interests.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Providing a BIN option on an auction is fine, but once a bid has been placed the BIN option should be invalidated. This keeps people from gaming the system. One obvious way this is done is a buyer using the BIN option when the auction offer price nears the BIN price.

Overall I think this is a great idea.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have a few thoughts...

Have different Icons for the different BIN options

How would the end of auction be determined without additional software? This is important to prevent squabbles if one member thinks the time is up to have another come along.

May need to have an edit lockout or timed lockout to prevent mind changing.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Providing a BIN option on an auction is fine, but once a bid has been placed the BIN option should be invalidated. This keeps people from gaming the system. One obvious way this is done is a buyer using the BIN option when the auction offer price nears the BIN price.

Overall I think this is a great idea.
The BIN type becomes part of the auction game; and it is a game. If there is way to do an option I prefer that. As a seller I like the thought that bidders can decide to end the game with my selling price, but... Going the other route gives the chance for higher bids.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I DO NOT like it. This is a community of friends and there has been a long standing name your price for your goods policy with no make an offer allowed. I don't buy alot or sell alot but I don't see the need for change and add more maintenance to the staffs plate.

IF it is implemented, buy it now should wipe out once there is a qualifying bid, that is your chance to beat all, buy it now. Once bid the reserve is met and the game is on.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The BIN type becomes part of the auction game; and it is a game. If there is way to do an option I prefer that. As a seller I like the thought that bidders can decide to end the game with my selling price, but... Going the other route gives the chance for higher bids.
Without a reserve a BIN option gives the seller the flexibily to price things lower to start.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Pesonally I think the BIN price should stay until that price is reached. No mater what kind of rules you put in place people will find a way around them. I have been involved in bidding wars on ebay and seen the same item relisted after I drop out. I always think the seller had a buddy bidding me up and almost never buy relisted items. At live auctions they call them "ringers". I like buying at auction, but sometimes I don't have time to fool with bidding and the BIN price seems fair so I just buy it. I don't like it when that option is taken away just because someone put in a low bid.

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
I like the whole idea, the BIN should only go away when the bids exceed the BIN. BIN should be just that, Sold!

-

·
Registered
922 Posts
I would just drop the BIN idea. All someone has to do is bid $.01 and it goes away. If you were to keep it in the loop, so to speak, then you have put a ceiling price on the item since if the pricing gets close someone will activate the BIN. I would instead allow the seller to put a "reserve price" on the item and then at the end of the bid if the highest bid exceeds the reserve then the item is awarded. If the price is under the reserve then it must be listed again and "reserve not met" would be the results of the auction.

The winning bid should only be $*** above the highest big placed. For instance if someone bid $100 and the next closet bid is $50 then the $100 bidder would "win" at say $52 and would not have to pay $100.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I personally do not like the ideal of an auction on this site for the reason previously stated. Members here are very familiar with each other and it turns in to a compitition to get parts with who has the biggest wallet. I like the fact that you post a price and either buy it or not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The way you have it now seems to work really well. If a product doesn't sell at the listed price, the seller drops the price until it is sold. Almost like an auction now. Why change it?

As mentioned before there is no point in bringing the "gaming" aspect to this forum. Anyway, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Auction

I also have mixed feelings about this idea.

My experience with BIN is that the seller is usually going to opt for a price based on whatever idea he/she can get on a particular value on the net. Which is usually Gunbroker ASKING prices as opposed to actual sales.
If anyone has access to actual sales figures (I do) then they will see that a LARGE number of Gunbroker ads go unsold.
Along with the higher priced online dealers.

Then all it takes is a buyer with more money than sense and
the ability to get a friendly deal are down the tubes because the next seller will quote the higher price.

Now, thats good for the seller until he wants to get something for himself and sees that all the prices have risen.
I know that folks will say "Well thats how markets work" but everyone knows that prices have been going up drastically since auctions have been on line.

How about just asking sellers to allot 1% of their sale to the site and keep the format as it is. It's the same honor system as if you had an auction with no extra programs required.

Also a yearly dues for certain segments of the site like BX , etc.
Maybe $20. per year to post.

If we can own the kind of guns we see advertised here , then
we can afford a yearly fee.
Then the only software needed would be a code to enter when we put an ad in. That can be renewed every year.

I don't know for sure what will work but I can say that this site is valuable and should stay that way.

Gerry

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
The way you have it now seems to work really well. If a product doesn't sell at the listed price, the seller drops the price until it is sold. Almost like an auction now. Why change it?

As mentioned before there is no point in bringing the "gaming" aspect to this forum. Anyway, my 2 cents.
And a good 2 cents it is Mully. I agree, I've seen the games played at auctions. If an item is priced too high on the PX I just wait for another to show up or the price to be reduced.

From a business stand point I'm not sure the auction fees would cover the cost of operating the auction. We're not going to have Ebay's volume.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I totally agree with Blacktail 8541. If you have an item to sell, price it and post it. This forum has been impressive, in part, due to the mutual respect members have for each other. I have seen items time and again fairly priced in the respective areas that would be lost to many of us, in an auction scenario, due to deep pockets possessed by some, but certainly not by all of us. It would be a shame to turn this area into a competition, relegating many to the left behind. IMHO

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm sorry if I missed it, but would the normal PX still exit without the auction? I'm not sure I'd want to use the auction feature and would much prefer to just list normally. Has worked very well for me here

1 - 20 of 57 Posts