M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase this barrel, as you can see by my post I am a newbie, The barrel is marked Winchester 7790190 APR 62 20R EXCELLENT Chrome lined USGI MIL-SPEC M14 barrel. Original Finish... Has proof marks. Throat measures ".5", muzzle measures ".25, Bore is Bright and Shinny.
Is this an ok barrel from what you have read, and would it work on a Fed. Ord. Receiver?
Thanks

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,820 Posts
Barrel

I assume this is an M14 barrel and if so, a throat reading of 5 would indicate a great deal of wear. Since M14 GI barrels are chrome lined they will usually indicate 1 to 1.5 throat wear even when the chrome is flaking off the lands. You need to stick your eyeball in the breach and look at the throat to confirm it's condition.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
It's ok Copper, if you meant .5 or 1/2 the way to the 1 on the guage. I think Ted thought you meant 5. You should be GTG. Just check the muzzle and look for any dents or dings in the rifling at the very end of them, where they exit the barrel end. It will work on a fed ord. My Winchesters are some of my best shooters.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,159 Posts
Research, the only good game in town anymore......

Afternoon coppercollarworker,

Time to get this barrel as marked Winchester 7790190 APR 62 20R EXCELLENT Chrome lined USGI MIL-SPEC M14 barrel.
Plus it's reading 0.5 TEG, it's a keeper.DI5

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
coppercollarworker,

Here's what Ted said, read it carefully:

Since M14 GI barrels are chrome lined they will usually indicate 1 to 1.5 throat wear even when the chrome is flaking off the lands. You need to stick your eyeball in the breach and look at the throat to confirm it's condition.
Then, read this:

Since M14 GI barrels are chrome lined they will usually indicate 1 to 1.5 throat wear even when the chrome is flaking off the lands. You need to stick your eyeball in the breach and look at the throat to confirm it's condition.
Then this:

You need to stick your eyeball in the breach and look at the throat to confirm it's condition.
GI1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.