·
Registered
2,912 Posts
It's an import stamp.

Reactions: Circlehook

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
+1 on Steve12, Blue Sky imported a great many M1 Garands and M1 Carbines back in the late 80's. Most were from Korea and most had been rode hard and put up wet, but they were cheap! They could be built into rifle that would shoot fine. My M1 Garand is a Blue Sky import that I got back then, but you would never know it now, it was re barreled and rebuilt with great SA parts when I bought it and shoots fine now!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would still buy one if it were a good deal. Don't really care about the Muzzle reading either because it would automatically be a candidate for a re-barrel.

Has to be cheap though...
SMAWman

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Many of the Blue Sky imported rifles were reportedly import-stamped so hard that it actually left an impression in the bore of the barrel. I looked at several of them when they were imported, and declined to spend my money on one. Some people had good luck with them, others not so much.

A guy I knew at the time bought one and showed me that the barrel of his rifle only had (very faint) rifling left in the last 6-8" before the muzzle!

I would figure on having to rebarrel, at the very least.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Most of them were so worn the Importer reparked them just so they would sell. I bought a Blue Sky M1 Carbine in 1985 for $150. Was reparked and looked new. I didnt know any better then so thought it was a like new carbine. The rifle patterned like a shotgun, later years I found the muzzle swallowed a muzzle gage. I have since rebarreled her and its a nice shooter

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I was an FFL in the 80's and 90's and sold several Blue Sky import M1's and Carbines. I purchased a Quality Hardware Carbine for myself and though it looks a bit used it is one of my best shooting Carbines.

I sold about a dozen of each and never had one come back. Most of the wood was fairly battered and the metal was about 70% on average. I did shoot some of the M1's and Carbines by giving away some ammo for them and they were fair shooters. Didn't have guages back then but most were about 50% on an M2 ball cartridge. None of the ones that I sold had any remarkably heavily stamped import marks.

Still have the QH carbine and broke it out a few years ago when I regained an interst in Carbines. Still shoots good.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,196 Posts
There was a place here in town that sold them in the early 90's, between my Brother and I we bought 6 Garands and a National Postal Meter Carbine.
The Garands were 159$ each and the Carbine was 129$.

Casey

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It is true about the import stamp being hit so hard that you could see a slight distortion in the bore. I looked at racks of Blue Sky Garands before buying a couple and saw more than one that was distorted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts