M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back when the Soviet Union was running rampant, they sent Russian spies to take up residence in the US, often immigrating on visas from other countries like Canada. The spies spent as much as 20 years living as "normal" American families, raising children, working regular jobs, and developing associations and contacts with prospective sources in high places to obtain classified information which would then be transmitted to the Kremlin. You wouldn't know who they are even if they lived next door. Even though the Soviet Union no longer exists, the Russians still do this. However, they have found an easier and sometimes more effective way of spreading their influence throughout America.

It's called the internet...

A good example is how they interfered with the last Presidential election. They also use the internet to spread false news and drive wedges between American citizens to disrupt, discord, and influence people to achieve Russian objectives.

What I'm trying to get across is that we should not take literally all of the information and opinions being expressed on any social web site, even this one. Some of the opinions being expressed may be in agreement with our own personal opinions or beliefs, but they should all be taken with a grain of salt since we often have no idea where they come from or what their true objectives may be. This is just a word to the wise. I spent 19 years of my military career working in Intelligence and even then it is easy to shine on some of the comments found here, even those we agree with. Some come close to being dangerous if brought to the ends being suggested. Keep an open mind whether you agree or not.

I should have titled this "The Russian's Really are Coming!". Actually, they have already been here.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Will Do!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
It is a very good point. We are most vulnerable to the lies that leverage what we hold to be true.

Funny, in the last election, the Russians 'Interfered', but best I can tell, they simply used (and paid a few hundred thousand dollars to) Facebook to circulate a lot of culturally bi-directional inflammatory content, and AMERICANS did the bulk of spreading it around and undermining the credibility of election results, and this was aided by private parties in Ukraine that were driving traffic using these tools, and paid directly by GOOGLE to do so.

Funny, not generally discussed about how we're going to prevent Facebook and Google from election interference...

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.

I'll try to do my part, but it's difficult restraining my fingers when somebody presses a hot button. GI1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts