M14 Forum banner

Indian 7.62

3094 20
Shotgun News has a cover sheet ad for Boxer primed .308. What little I have been able to find out is that this is of Indian manuf. ,That the ammo had some seating problems and is billed as non-corrosive. Anybody know the low-down on this stuff? Anybody know the low down on this stuff? The price isnt bad....if it's worth a flip.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
:x Steer clear of it. 8)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I bought a can of this stuff from J&G about six months ago. Most of it was burned up in a full-auto M14. Most worked fine. I did have a few that wouldn't chamber and had some with the rims that were too small for the extractor to grab. I even found one that looked like it was primed with a piece of old curtain rod! I didn't even try to fire that one!

As far as accuracy, this stuff is pure junk. Even the ammo can looks like it was hand made!

Spend a few extra dollars and get some decent surplus stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I blew it off, too much static. Aussie and Port are still available. I have about 1K of the Aussie and about 2K of the Port. I'm going to order 2K more of the Aussie, and let it lay.
I roll my own, I've got 1K count of the Lake city pull down and another 1K on the way.
The expensive thing is the bullets- at any rate the milsurp stuff is my doomsday ammo- and I have enough to be comfortable. But I will keep buying more as time goes on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have seen ads in "Shotgun News" for Golden West Bullets. I think that's the name. Anyway, they list a 150 grain FMJ at a decent price. I haven't used any of their stuff. Might be a good choice for blaster ammo.

·
Banned
3,958 Posts
Old eye

You nailed it, neither is anything else. Still trying to get a ten shot group in an inch, three times a week with M1A. Three decades, came close last time out, 1.100". The strange part was this was with reformed 06 Fed brass, 40.6 grs of 4895, just picked this load out of the air, intention was to fire form brass. Sometimes the notion is better than the doing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So far, I've fired 110 rounds of '75 OFV through my new M1A Scout, and the ammo has given me nothing to complain about.

I can't speak as to it's accuracy without another range trip or two, though... and even then, it'll probably be my accuracy that is the limiting factor, not the ammo.

·
Registered
998 Posts
OPV '75 Bandolier

I took a bandolier (50 rounds) of OPV '75 to the range a week ago. I first inspected the ammo, which looked good (uniform bullet seating and centered in the case, no case tarnish, no dents, etc.). I then fired it - all fed, fired, and ejected.

I shot about 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards using a Polytech with aperature sights. Not great accuracy, but to be fair, it was raining heavily, my shooting glasses were fogging, and the paper target was sagging from being wet. In short, more the shooter's problem than the ammo. About the worse thing from this ammo was the odor during shooting.

I let the rifle set a day before cleaning. No evidence of ammo corrosivity.

So, I bought more to try. Cheap plinking ammo to practice at the range. BTW, the cases are boxer primed and they'll be used at least once more.

·
FOREVER REMEMBERED
1,429 Posts
As long as the impression is out there that all Indian is lousy, the more for those who have done their homework.

·
Registered
225 Posts
just finished 100 rounds of OFV headstamp M80 '74

100 yards, prone, sitting, offhand

no more or less accurate than any other NATO round

Started the reload process, full size RCBS die, swadged pocket, and cleaned primer pocket, trimmed length for standard length (they had grown just a smidgen), burred in and out. , degreased them in cleaner, then overnight in media.

inspected each and every roung under mag glass and put each and every round in forester guage. No complaints whatever, and the flash hole is center and uniform. can not mike the case at base in/out. but brass seems uniform and in good shape. Zero stress marks or cracks. sitting in bag of 100 marked OVF '74 waiting its turn in the barrel

heard and read comments, but waiting for someone to post, on saturday may so and so John smith blew his gun up with indian ammo. Never really cared for "they say" stuff
???????????

·
Registered
334 Posts
I noticed this post was originally started in 2004. I am guessing that is when the 90's OFV was making its rounds.

The 70's OFV my family has shot has been consistent and reliable for range ammo. We have no complaints and are willing to dispose of any supplies people are not willing to shoot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought some before J&G ran out. I wanted to save the SA, Arg, and Paki stockpile for later. I used about 100 rounds last monday. I didn't take any reports (just shot a few targets) and it was good blasting ammo. I would buy more if I can find a source that doesn't sell it for 50 cents a pop.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,919 Posts
Them rules again......

I will never buy ammo made in a country that I would never either visit as a tourist, or live in.
DISHOUT

Pretty darn close to number 10, of the "10 Golden Rules of Ammunition".

1) You can never have too much ammo on hand. 1k rounds per battle rifle is a good minimum to start with (fubar).
2) Supplies of good surplus run out before you know it, and usually when you're running low on ammo so buy plenty while its available.
3) When in doubt about how much ammo you should buy, refer to rule #1.
4) Ammo is meant to be shot, so shoot often.
5) Because of rule #4, ammo must be replenished often as well.
6) When replenishing supply of ammo, refer to rules #1 through #3.
7) You must buy at least twice as much ammo as you shoot (fubar).
8: Always store ammo in a cool dry place (TEA).
9) If you don't have room in your house to store ammo per rule #8, build a bunker or a cellar in your back yard for storing ammo (TEA).
10) Friends don't let friends buy Indian surplus ammo (TEA). Or Never buy surplus ammo from a country where you wouldn't drink the water (midrat).DI5

XXIV Corps USARMY-1
DMZ 70-72

·
Registered
44 Posts
Friends don't let friends buy Indian surplus ammo (TEA). Or Never buy surplus ammo from a country where you wouldn't drink the water (midrat).
I'm really glad for that rule, it probably helped me to get my 70's OFV at a low price... or what passes for a low price these days. This stuff is fine. (Has anyone seen problems with 70's OFV?)

Oh, and I won't drink the city water here in New Mexico... arsenic and/or uranium contamination. GI3 So should I avoid US ammo?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.